1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series

1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    At exam today I was to calculate an improper integral of a function f defined by a power series.
    The power series had radius of convergence r=1.
    Inside this radius you could of course integrate each term, i.e. symbologically:
    ∫Ʃ = Ʃ∫
    The only problem is that the improper integral went from 0 to 1.
    Is it then true that:
    limx->1[∫Ʃ ]=limx->1[Ʃ∫]
    and what theorem assures this? At the exam I didn't think about this unfortunately, but I would probably not have known what to do anyways. I think there is a theorem called Abels theorem which shows that a power series is continous also in x=±r, but I'm not sure if that's what im looking for.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Are you familiar with uniform convergence?

Abel's theorem basically says that if a series converges at x = R, it converges uniformly over the interval
    0 ≤ x ≤ R.

As a consequence, you can also observe uniform convergence over the interval -R ≤ x ≤ 0.

A corollary would be that it converges on -R ≤ x ≤ R.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  4. Jun 20, 2013 #3
    Yes I am familiar with uniform convergence. And you agree that from what I told you I would have had to invoke Abels theorem to give a satisfactory answer?

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Uniform convergence would be a sufficient condition for you to be able to switch limits/derivatives/integrals around. So yes, Abel's theorem could be used here as it guarantees the uniform convergence over the whole interval [-R,R].

6. Jun 20, 2013 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you need anything fancy at all. Assuming that your variable x is "integrate from 0 to x" then for every x<1, the thing you have written in square brackets [ ] is equal whether the integration or the summation comes first, because you're integrating over [0,x] which is bounded away from 1. You just did algebra inside the limit which is legal for the values of x that you are considering

7. Jun 20, 2013 #6
    Im switching 2 limits:
    limx->1limn->∞[Ʃanxn] = limn->∞limx->1[Ʃanxn]
    I only know that the power series converges for lxl<1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted