1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    Two parts to this problem. On the first part I need someone to check my work, and I need help on solving the second part.

(a) Find a power series representation for f(x) = ln(1+x).
    [tex] \frac{df}{dx} = \frac{1}{1+x} = \frac{1}{1-(-x)} = 1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4-...[/tex]
    [tex] \int_{n} \frac{1}{1+x} = \int_{n} (1-x+x^2-x^3+...)\dx = x-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-...+C = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-x)^{n+1}}{n+1} +C [/tex]
    sub x=0 in original equation: ln(1+0) = ln(1) = 0 = C.
    [tex]\ln(1+x) = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-x)^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex]
    with radius of convergence = 1.

(b) Find a power series representation for f(x) = x*ln(1+x).
    If this function is differentiated, you get
    [tex] \ln(1+x) + \frac{x}{x+1}[/tex]
    which is the same as a sum of power series
    [tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-x)^{n+1}}{n+1} + \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} (-x)^{n+1} [/tex]
    have I gone too far? or where do I go from here?
    I know I will eventually have to integrate back to get the series for the original function.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

The first series looks right except for a sign, but why don't you just replace n+1 by n and run the index from 1 to infinity? For the second one, you can just multiply each term from the expansion for ln(1+x) by x.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  4. Apr 10, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(a) looks fine (except for the sign), though it's usually good form to reindex the power series, and rearrange the terms, so that it looks like

[tex]
    \sum_{n = ?}^{\infty} (\mathrm{something}) x^n
    [/tex]

(b) You don't have to do any differentiation at all... :smile: but you could do it that way if you really want to, by combining the two sums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?