1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    Could someone please verify my working out, let me know if my answer is correct & if I have written the question out properly

http://img280.echo.cx/img280/9528/solution9lx.gif

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't converge for every possible "x",as your "radius of convergence =infinite" might mean.

[tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{k}\frac{x^{2k}}{4^{k}(k!)^{2}} =-\frac{x^{2}}{4}\ _{2}F_{1} \left(1,2,2;-\frac{x^{2}}{4}\right) [/tex]

Daniel.

4. May 22, 2005 #3
    To simplify
    there was no need to take the x's ...take x^2=w and just take the limit of the ratio's..

As per my knowledge it seems to me R is infinite

5. May 22, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,try x=60.How big is the number...?

Daniel.

6. May 23, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I have left it as R = infinity; seems the rest of the class got the same thing. So I'll just leave it at that

7. May 23, 2005 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've missed the k=0 term, though this doesn't affect convergence. The OP's work is fine.

For interests sake, this thing is a Bessel function of the first kind (it's a solution to the d.e. xy''+y'+xy=0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?