Analyzing a Power Series: Convergence and Radius of Convergence

In summary: I can of course throw the i outside the summation and conclude that the series diverges? Is that a valid step when considering infinite sums? Remember, it has to be rigorous (this is a course, where we started out proving that 1+1=2...)I think that's a valid step, but I'm not sure how rigorous it needs to be. It would be good to have a rigorous explanation for why it's a valid step.
broegger
I really need help with this exercise. Consider the power series

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{z^{2n+1}}{2n+1}.[/tex]​

for [tex]z\in\mathbb{C}.[/tex]

I need to answer the following questions:

a) Is the series convergent for z = 1?

This is easy; just plug in z = 1 and observe that the alternating series obtained is convergent using some basic theorems and stuff.

b) Is the series convergent for z = i?

Here I'm in trouble; the absolute series (series of absolute values) diverges, but that tells me nothing... Any hints?

c) Show that the radius of convergence is R=1.

I have done this, but in a complicated way that isn't the right way, for sure. What's confusing me is that this is not a power series in the standard form, [tex]\sum a_n z^n[/tex] - if you write this series in this way every second term is 0 (corresponding to even n's), so the standard formulas in my book for finding radius of convergence are not applicable (at least, I'm not able to apply them).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
b) This should be rather straightforward... what did you get when you made the substitution?

c) They don't have to be in standard form to apply the various tests you know (like ratio test or n-th root test... BTW, the latter should apply to the standard form one as well).

But you're right, this is not the way you're supposed to do it: you're supposed to do it by using basic facts about radius of convergence!

Hurkyl said:
b) This should be rather straightforward... what did you get when you made the substitution?
For z = i I get:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{i}{2n+1}.[/tex]

Most of the series theorems in my book involves only series with real, not complex, terms. The only theorem I can think of is the one that states that for a series to be convergent, the individual terms must tend to 0 - they do in this case, but it is not a sufficient condition, so that's a worhtless observation (if they didn't tend to 0, I could conclude that it diverges, but they do unfortunately). Similarly, if I could show the series to be absolutely convergent, then it would surely be convergent too - but it is not absolutely convergent, so this approach also yields nothing.

Hurkyl said:
c) They don't have to be in standard form to apply the various tests you know (like ratio test or n-th root test... BTW, the latter should apply to the standard form one as well).

But you're right, this is not the way you're supposed to do it: you're supposed to do it by using basic facts about radius of convergence!
What particular facts do you have in mind? I can't think of any...:biggrin:

Last edited:
Most of the series theorems in my book involves only series with real, not complex, terms.

Can you think of any manipulations you can do with it so you can get your hands on a real summation?

What particular facts do you have in mind?

Something along the lines of... it's definition. :biggrin:

Hurkyl said:
Can you think of any manipulations you can do with it so you can get your hands on a real summation?

I can of course throw the i outside the summation and conclude that the series diverges? Is that a valid step when considering infinite sums? Remember, it has to be rigorous (this is a course, where we started out proving that 1+1=2...)

Hurkyl said:
Something along the lines of... it's definition. :biggrin:

Hehe, my book defines radius of convergence as:

[tex]R=\frac{1}{\lim~\sup_n |a_n|^{\frac1{n}}}.[/tex]

What the **** is that??

Is that a valid step when considering infinite sums?

If you're not sure, then prove it. :smile:

You sure that formula is the definition of "Radius of Convergence", and not just a formula for computing it?

Anyways, in your own words, what does it mean for the radius of convergence of a power series to be equal to R?

Now, I've done the b-question in a rigorous and satisfying way. Thanks for helping.

Hurkyl said:
You sure that formula is the definition of "Radius of Convergence", and not just a formula for computing it?

Anyways, in your own words, what does it mean for the radius of convergence of a power series to be equal to R?

That is actually the definition in my book (pretty non-intuitive, grrr...). The radius of convergence is just the radius of the circle in the complex plane inside which the power series converges - I don't know what else to say about it??

The radius of convergence is just the radius of the circle in the complex plane inside which the power series converges

Yep. You can say more than that, though...

Anyways, have the previous parts shed any light on the radius of the circle in the complex plane inside which the power series converges?

Yes, since it converges at z=1 and diverges at z=i, R must be 1! :) You're a genius, thanks!

What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable.

How do you determine the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the ratio or root of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of a power series to the point at which the series converges. It can be found by using the ratio test or the root test. The interval of convergence is the range of values for the variable that will result in a convergent series.

Can a power series converge for certain values of the variable but not others?

Yes, a power series can have a finite interval of convergence, meaning it only converges for a specific range of values for the variable. Outside of this range, the series will diverge.

What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is important because it determines the interval of convergence and therefore, the range of values for the variable that will result in a convergent series. It also helps to identify the behavior of the function outside of the interval of convergence.