Power set P(S) with symmetry difference.

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine the orders of elements in the power set P(S) of a set S with symmetric difference Δ. The conversation also includes a discussion on the identity of the group and how AΔA can be written as A^2 or the empty set. The main focus of the conversation is on understanding the concept of the order of an element in a group and how it applies to P(A) under the operation Δ. The speaker encourages the other person to think about the question and do their own research before continuing the discussion.
mikael27

Homework Statement

Determine the orders of all the elements of the power set P(S) of a set S with symmetric difference Δ.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If A,b are two elements of the power set
the symmetric difference is

AΔB = (A-B) U (B - A)

How are we going to find the order of the elements?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's AΔA? That's A^2 with your group operation.

its A Δ B not A Δ A.

I don't know how to start this

mikael27 said:
its A Δ B not A Δ A.

I don't know how to start this

You would if you paid some attention to me. The order of A is the number of times you have to take the symmetric difference of A with itself to get the group identity. What's the identity of your group?

the identity is the empty set.

ok, now: what is A-A?

and therefore, what is (A-A) U (A-A) = AΔA?

I also know that AΔB = (A-B) U (B - A)= (B-A) U (A - B)=BΔA

well, that's very nice, but:

in a group, the order of an element g is the smallest possible positive integer k such that gk = e.

what is gk? it's g*g*g*...*g (k times).

so when calculating order of an element, you don't need to look at "other elements".

in the group you are considering, we are using "A" instead of "g", and "Δ" instead of "*".

so Ak = AΔAΔA...ΔA (k times).

there's no need to bring up "B".

To the answer is that we have one element A and the order of A is k?

mikael27 said:
To the answer is that we have one element A and the order of A is k?

Once again. What is AΔA?

Its A^2

mikael27 said:
Its A^2

Ok, yes, but what is that? What elements are in that set?

just A and A ?

mikael27 said:
just A and A ?

Use your definition! AΔA = (A-A) U (A-A). What is that? It's a very simple set.

it says that the A-A union A-A. On sets if A-A=0 it means it is zero

mikael27 said:
it says that the A-A union A-A. On sets if A-A=0 it means it is zero

A-A isn't 0, if you mean the number zero. Do you know what A-A means? It's a set, not a number.

can you please explain me

mikael27 said:
can you please explain me

A-B means the set of all the elements of A that are not in B. What is {1,2,3,4}-{5,4,2,7}? Now what is {1,2,3,4}-{1,2,3,4}?

yes i know that that's why i told you 0. There are no elements left

{1,2,3,4}-{5,4,2,7} 1,3

{1,2,3,4}-{1,2,3,4} no elements

And what do you call a set that contains no elements? That's what Dick is asking.

mikael27 said:
yes i know that that's why i told you 0. There are no elements left

{1,2,3,4}-{5,4,2,7} 1,3

{1,2,3,4}-{1,2,3,4} no elements

That's good. 0 isn't a good answer. 'empty set' or {} or ∅ is the way to say that. So A^2={}. What does that tell you about the order of A?

so A^2=empty set. no elements from -infinity to + infinity

mikael27 said:
so A^2=empty set. no elements from -infinity to + infinity

That has nothing to do with the question I asked you. What does A^2={} tell you about the order of A? What's the identity of P(A)? Try to focus, ok?

i don't know

infinity order

You said, back in response #5, that "the identity is the empty set."''

Of course, "is" is symmetric! "The empty set is the identity". So, calling the identity "e", [itex]A\Delta A= \phi[/itex] is the same as [itex]A\Delta A= e[/itex].

Now, what does that tell you about the "order" of A?zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mikael27 said:
infinity order

I want to you reread Deveno's explanation in post 8. Look up what the 'order of a element in a group' means in your textbook or on line. Figure out why P(A) is a group under Δ. Then think about it for a while, come back here and explain to me what it means in your own words. Then if you still don't know we can continue.

Mikael, you're giving me the impression that you don't really want to think about the question. This forum is not for spoonfeeding you or giving you the answer without effort.
If you continue to do no effort then this thread will be locked.

1. What is the power set of a set?

The power set of a set is the set of all possible subsets of that set. In other words, it is the collection of all possible combinations of elements from the original set.

2. What is the significance of symmetry difference in power sets?

Symmetry difference in power sets refers to the difference between the original set and its power set when considering symmetry. This can be seen by comparing the number of elements in the original set and its power set, as well as the relationship between the elements in each set.

3. How is symmetry difference calculated in power sets?

Symmetry difference in power sets can be calculated by taking the difference between the number of elements in the original set and its power set. This can also be seen by comparing the elements in each set and identifying any patterns or relationships between them.

4. Can symmetry difference in power sets be negative?

No, symmetry difference in power sets cannot be negative. This is because the power set always contains at least the empty set, which means that the number of elements in the power set can never be less than the number of elements in the original set.

5. What is an example of symmetry difference in power sets?

An example of symmetry difference in power sets is the set {1, 2, 3}. Its power set is {{}, {1}, {2}, {3}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {2,3}, {1,2,3}}. The symmetry difference in this case is 3, as the original set has 3 elements and its power set has 8 elements, resulting in a difference of 3.