Proving Power Set of S is Equal to 2^n

In summary: To go from n to n+1, choose a specific member of the set of n+1 elements, call it x, and remove it from the set. Now you have a set of n elements. How many subsets does it have?\binom{n}{n+1}=\binom{n}{n+1}+\binom{n}{n-1}=2^n.
FunkyDwarf

Homework Statement

Hey

I need to show that the power set of S is equal to 2^n where n is the number of elements (inlcuding the empty set and S). I found this kinda hard as this is just what it is defined as and not much room to work with, well i couldn't find any.

Homework Equations

Binomial theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out that you can take a sum of 'choose' functions with k from 1 to n and that should give you the number of sets, but I am having a hard time relating a sumation over some crazy factorial stuff to something as simple as 2^n. Any ideas?

Thanks
-Z

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, get the question straight: you want to show that if S is a finite set and |S|=n, then |P(S)|=2^n (hopefully with the obvious notation: P(S) is the power set and |X| means the number of elements in X).

I believe you're attempting to show that if we add the number of ways to choose 0 elemnts, 1 element and so on that you wish to show

[tex]2^n= \binom{n}{0} + \binom{n}{1}+\ldots \binom{n}{n}[/tex]

but this is trivial - remember 2=1+1.

I would do that by induction. A set with only one member, say {a} has two subsets, {a} and {}: 21= 2.

To go from n to n+1, choose a specific member of the set of n+1 elements, call it x, and remove it from the set. Now you have a set of n elements. How many subsets does it have?

Every subset of the original set either does not contain x (so how many of those are there?) or it does contain x in which case it is a set that does not contain x (how many of those are there) union {x}.

Both super ideas, alas i read this after handing it in :) i went with a kinda wishy washy approach (its only 2nd year I am allowed to) and said that the pattern that emerges in the number of sets equals the rows in pascals triangle for the choose function, and by the rules governing said triangle the answer is 2^n.

matt grime said:
Firstly, get the question straight: you want to show that if S is a finite set and |S|=n, then |P(S)|=2^n (hopefully with the obvious notation: P(S) is the power set and |X| means the number of elements in X).

I believe you're attempting to show that if we add the number of ways to choose 0 elemnts, 1 element and so on that you wish to show

[tex]2^n= \binom{n}{0} + \binom{n}{1}+\ldots \binom{n}{n}[/tex]

but this is trivial - remember 2=1+1.

you need to remember this, crap...

Remembering that 1=x/x for any non zero x, and that 0=x-x are also incredibly useful.

1. What is the definition of the power set of a set?

The power set of a set S is the set of all subsets of S, including the empty set and S itself. It is denoted by 2^n, where n is the number of elements in S.

2. How do you prove that the power set of a set S is equal to 2^n?

To prove that the power set of a set S is equal to 2^n, you must show that every element in 2^n is also a subset of S, and every subset of S is also an element of 2^n. This can be done by using the definition of the power set and sets, and applying logical reasoning.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate the concept of power set and its proof?

Yes, consider the set S = {1, 2}. The power set of S is {∅, {1}, {2}, {1, 2}}. This is because S has 2 elements, so 2^n = 2^2 = 4, and there are 4 possible subsets of S. The proof would involve showing that all 4 subsets are indeed included in the power set, and that any other possible subsets are not included.

4. What is the significance of proving the equality of the power set of a set?

Proving the equality of the power set of a set is important because it provides a way to determine the number of subsets a set has without having to list them all out. It also helps in understanding the concept of cardinality and infinite sets, as the power set of an infinite set can have a higher cardinality than the original set.

5. Are there any alternative methods to prove the equality of the power set of a set?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using set operations and Venn diagrams. These methods can help to visualize the relationship between a set and its power set, and provide a more intuitive understanding of the concept. However, the proof using logical reasoning is the most rigorous and accepted method in mathematics and science.