Can You Substitute a Different Power Source for a 9VAC 1.3A?

In summary, the person needs a 9VAC 1.3A source but is having trouble finding one. They are wondering if they can use a different source and if the power output, current, and voltage matter. They also ask about using a resistor and the difference between AC and DC.
sdusheyko
Hello

i need a 9VAC 1.3A source but it's hard to come by... is there a way i can use a similar source?

i don't know too much about this sort of thing but from what i understand the power output is more important than the individual current or voltage out... is that right? for example, my source would have to be around 12W output (p=iv=1.3*9=11.7watt.) or does the current and voltage rating actually matter?

could i add a resistor to say a 12vac 1a source to drop the voltage to get what i need?

what about vac verses vdc; does this really matter? if my wall socket output is 3p anyway, isn't that like vdc since it's constant?

i'm confused, any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
sdusheyko said:
Hello

i need a 9VAC 1.3A source but it's hard to come by... is there a way i can use a similar source?
You can convert one voltage AC to another with a transformer; that's probably easiest.

sdusheyko said:
i don't know too much about this sort of thing but from what i understand the power output is more important than the individual current or voltage out... is that right? for example, my source would have to be around 12W output (p=iv=1.3*9=11.7watt.) or does the current and voltage rating actually matter?
It depends a little on what you're powering, but voltage usually matters.

sdusheyko said:
could i add a resistor to say a 12vac 1a source to drop the voltage to get what i need?
If your device draws a constant current, you can make a voltage divider, otherwise, no.

sdusheyko said:
what about vac verses vdc; does this really matter? if my wall socket output is 3p anyway, isn't that like vdc since it's constant?
Again, it depends on what you're powering. An incandescent lamp would work on DC or AC. A heater coil would work on both. Anything more complicated probably wouldn't.

Good luck.

What is power source improvisation?

Power source improvisation is the process of creating or finding alternative sources of energy to power devices or systems that do not have access to traditional sources of power. This can involve using renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, or using unconventional methods to convert existing energy sources into usable power.

Why is power source improvisation important?

Power source improvisation is important because it allows for the use of energy in situations where traditional sources are not available or practical. This can be especially crucial in emergency situations or in remote locations where access to electricity is limited. Additionally, it can help reduce reliance on non-renewable energy sources and promote sustainability.

What are some examples of power source improvisation?

Some examples of power source improvisation include using solar panels to power a remote research station, converting waste heat into electricity in industrial processes, or using kinetic energy from human movement to power small devices. Other examples include using biogas from waste materials, such as landfills or animal waste, to generate electricity or using windmills to pump water in areas without access to electricity.

What are the benefits of power source improvisation?

There are several benefits to power source improvisation. These include increased energy independence, reduced reliance on non-renewable energy sources, and lower energy costs. Additionally, power source improvisation can also have positive environmental impacts by reducing carbon emissions and promoting sustainability.

What are the challenges of power source improvisation?

Power source improvisation can present some challenges, such as the initial cost of implementing alternative energy sources, as well as the need for ongoing maintenance and management. Additionally, some sources of alternative energy may not be as reliable as traditional sources, which can affect the consistency of power supply. There may also be technical challenges in converting energy from one form to another, which can require specialized knowledge and skills.