1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power stairs problem

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much power is needed for a 44 kg person to climb 12 flights of stairs that each have a height of 2 meters, in a time of 15 seconds?

2. Relevant equations
    P=W/T

3. The attempt at a solution
    answer from the teacher is 690 W. i remember doing the something like this in class but i dont remember exactly what all to do. wouldnt you multiply 12 by 2 so its total distance then multiply it by the 15 for the total time? or is that just time in general, the total? then put it into the power equation? i know youre supposed to convert the mass into N but thats it. im so lost please help me.

thank you!
    sweedeljoseph

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2
    [tex]U_0+W=U_f\rightarrow W=\Delta U[/tex]. Then, use your relevant equation to solve.

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    whats U initial? or U final?

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4
    sweedeljoseph, there is probably more than one way to solve this. You have the key equation P=W/t

Yes, t is the TOTAL time

Now you just need to find the Work. Work is defined as Force*displacement

You found the displacement to be 24 meters.

What is the force in this case?

Casey

6. Nov 10, 2008 #5
    well force is in N and you can make the mass into newtons. mass is 44 kg so times 9.8 its 431.2 N. so im guessing thats the force?

i just put it in the calculator. it works! thank you. for some reason i kept thinking W was weight instead of work. i feel stupid haha.

thank you!
    sweedeljoseph

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?