1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power sums questions.

1. Jun 2, 2006 #1
    1) develop the function f(x)=(e^x)sin(x) into a power sum over the point 0.
    2) find the convergence radius R of [tex]\sum_{\substack{0<=n<\infty}}\frac{(n!)^2}{(2n)!}x^n[/tex] and say if it converges or diverges at x=-R, x=R.

about the second question i got that R=4, through hadamard test, but i didnt succeed in asserting if at x=R it diverges or converges, at x=-R i think it converges because it's an alternating sign sum, and according to leibnitz theorem it does.

about the first question here what i got:
    i needed to find an equation for the derivative of [tex]f^{(n)}(x)[/tex], here what i got:
    [tex]f^{(n)}(x)=(g(x)h(x))^{(n)}=\binom{n}{n}g^{(n)}(x)h(x)+\binom{n}{n-1}g^{(n-1)}(x)h'(x)+...+\binom{n}{n-1}g'(x)h^{(n-1)}(x)+\binom{n}{n}g(x)h^{(n)}(x)[/tex] which i employed at the function which i got, is this equation correct?

thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2006 #2
    for the first question, it is probably easiest to find the power series for e^x and for sin(x) about 0 and then multiply them together.
  4. Jun 2, 2006 #3
    i thought about it, but i wasn't sure, it would be accaptable.
    but on a second thought it does make a perfect sense.

what about my second question?
    about my first question, how do i represent the product of the sums of e^x and sin(x) as one sum?
  5. Jun 2, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

You could use the fact that:

[tex]\sin x = \frac{1}{2i} (e^{ix}-e^{-ix})[/tex]

so we can write:

[tex]e^x \sin x = \frac{1}{2i}(e^{(1+i)x}-e^{(1-i)x})[/tex]

Then, for example,

[tex] e^{(1+i)x} = 1+ (1+i)x+ \frac{1}{2}(1+i)^2 x^2+...[/tex]

To compute powers of [itex]1 \pm i[/itex], it is probably easiest to rewrite it as [itex]r e^{i\theta}[/itex] for an appropriate choice of [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex].
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  6. Jun 3, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

[tex]e^{x}\sin{x} = \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{n}}{n!}\right) \left( \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2m+1}}{(2m+1)!}\right) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{x^{n-k}}{(n-k)!} \frac{x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{x^{n+k+1}}{(n-k)!(2k+1)!}[/tex]
  7. Jun 3, 2006 #6
    can someone help on the other question, does it converge or diverge at x=4, and how to prove it?

8. Jun 3, 2006 #7

Homework Helper

Well the product of to absolutely convergent series is absolutely convergent, and the series used converge for all [tex]-\infty < x<\infty[/tex]: so, yes, it does converge at x=4.
  9. Jun 3, 2006 #8
    but R doesnt equal [tex]\infty[/tex], i know that for every |x|<R the sum converges but here i need to find what happens when x=R.
  10. Jun 3, 2006 #9

Homework Helper

Find the ratio of successive terms at x=4. Do they get bigger or smaller?
  11. Jun 3, 2006 #10
    you mean, to use d'almbert test, ok, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?