Why Is There a Negative Sign When Calculating Power with P=IV?

• Thread starter taalha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, power supplied or absorbed is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. It can refer to the amount of energy that is supplied to a system or the amount of energy that is taken in by a system. The difference between power supplied and power absorbed is the direction of energy flow, with power supplied referring to energy being transferred into a system and power absorbed referring to energy being taken in by a system. Power supplied or absorbed is calculated by multiplying voltage by current, and it is important to measure in order to understand the efficiency of a system and make improvements. This concept is widely used in many fields of science and engineering, including electricity, mechanics, and thermodynamics, for applications such as designing and analyzing circuits,
taalha
i want to calculate the power supplied or absorbed by a source whose voltageis 24V and current is of 4A in the circuit. i used formula
P=IV ... but their is a negative sign with current ... please tell me why is it so ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
taalha said:
i want to calculate the power supplied or absorbed by a source whose voltageis 24V and current is of 4A in the circuit. i used formula
P=IV ... but their is a negative sign with current ... please tell y is it so ? Thanks

Why does 4 * 24 give you a negative sign?

What is power supplied or absorbed?

Power supplied or absorbed is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. It can refer to the amount of energy that is supplied to a system or the amount of energy that is taken in by a system.

What is the difference between power supplied and power absorbed?

The difference between power supplied and power absorbed is the direction of energy flow. Power supplied refers to the energy being transferred into a system, while power absorbed refers to the energy being taken in by a system.

How is power supplied or absorbed calculated?

Power supplied or absorbed is calculated by multiplying the voltage by the current. In other words, it is equal to the product of the potential difference (in volts) and the current (in amperes).

Why is it important to measure power supplied or absorbed?

Measuring power supplied or absorbed is important because it allows us to understand how much energy is being transferred or converted in a system. This information is useful for determining the efficiency of a system and making improvements to increase its performance.

What are some practical applications of power supplied or absorbed?

Power supplied or absorbed is a fundamental concept in many fields of science and engineering, including electricity, mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, motors, and generators, as well as in the study of heat transfer and energy conversion in various systems.