1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Supply problem

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    I am making a large capacitor bank (I guess not that big, but enough to kill you a couple times over) and I need a little help with charging it. I am using 450 volt 1200uf electrolytic capacitors. I have them in two sub banks of 4 wired in parallel, and connected to each other in series. I only want to charge the bank to 800 volts (100 less than it is rated for) and am having a bit of trouble doing this on a budget.

I thought of making a ac transformer and then changing it to dc power, but I do not know of a way to create an acceptible circuit for ac to dc. I have tried to find the circuit diagram online but havent really found anything.

Another solution I thought of was to create an DC/DC converter and up the voltage to the desired voltage through this. I did find plans for this on the internet, but they seem very complicated, and the problem is that they have it set for a certain output, in my case 10kv, way way too much. I dont know enough about the concept behind the circuit to limit it for my application.

Is there an easy way to limit DC voltage? Because if there is I could just use a neon sign transformer and go from there (those are dc output right?)

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know, because I am going nuts.

Another thing I thought of was creating some sort of bleed valve for the capcacitors that would disipate extra voltage when it got to a certain point. this way I could use anything above 800, and not really worry. Any ideas on how to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2
    Would a full bridge rectification circuit, with some filter to smooth the output work? You just have to find diodes which can safely operate at that voltage-- probably not too hard to find, nor too expensive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?