Creating a Power Supply for a Capacitor Bank

In summary, the conversation is about creating a large capacitor bank for charging to 800 volts (100 less than its rated voltage) on a budget. The person has considered using an AC to DC transformer or a DC/DC converter, but has had trouble finding a suitable circuit or limiting the output voltage. They also suggest using a neon sign transformer and creating a bleed valve to dissipate extra voltage. Another suggestion is to use a full bridge rectification circuit with suitable diodes.
counterphit
I am making a large capacitor bank (I guess not that big, but enough to kill you a couple times over) and I need a little help with charging it. I am using 450 volt 1200uf electrolytic capacitors. I have them in two sub banks of 4 wired in parallel, and connected to each other in series. I only want to charge the bank to 800 volts (100 less than it is rated for) and am having a bit of trouble doing this on a budget.

I thought of making a ac transformer and then changing it to dc power, but I do not know of a way to create an acceptible circuit for ac to dc. I have tried to find the circuit diagram online but haven't really found anything.

Another solution I thought of was to create an DC/DC converter and up the voltage to the desired voltage through this. I did find plans for this on the internet, but they seem very complicated, and the problem is that they have it set for a certain output, in my case 10kv, way way too much. I don't know enough about the concept behind the circuit to limit it for my application.

Is there an easy way to limit DC voltage? Because if there is I could just use a neon sign transformer and go from there (those are dc output right?)

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know, because I am going nuts.

Another thing I thought of was creating some sort of bleed valve for the capcacitors that would dissipate extra voltage when it got to a certain point. this way I could use anything above 800, and not really worry. Any ideas on how to do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I thought of making a ac transformer and then changing it to dc power, but I do not know of a way to create an acceptible circuit for ac to dc. I have tried to find the circuit diagram online but haven't really found anything.

Would a full bridge rectification circuit, with some filter to smooth the output work? You just have to find diodes which can safely operate at that voltage-- probably not too hard to find, nor too expensive.

Hello there,

It sounds like you have a challenging project on your hands! First of all, it's important to mention that working with high voltage and capacitors can be extremely dangerous, so please make sure to take all necessary safety precautions and seek professional assistance if needed.

Now, onto your question. There are a few different options you could consider for charging your capacitor bank to 800 volts.

One option is to use a variable power supply that allows you to adjust the output voltage. This can be done with a simple circuit using a transformer, rectifier, and voltage regulator. You can find many tutorials and diagrams online for building a variable power supply, and it can be adjusted to output the exact voltage you need.

Another option is to use a step-up DC/DC converter, as you mentioned. These can be more complicated to build, but there are also pre-made modules available that can be adjusted to output the desired voltage. You may need to do some research and experimentation to find the right one for your project.

Regarding your idea of using a neon sign transformer, these do output DC voltage, but they may not be suitable for charging your capacitor bank as they typically have a lower current output. It's important to make sure the power source you use can handle the current needed to charge your capacitors safely.

As for your idea of a "bleed valve" for the capacitors, this is called a bleeder resistor and it is a common safety feature in capacitor banks. A bleeder resistor is essentially a high-value resistor connected across the capacitor terminals, which allows any excess voltage to be safely discharged. The exact value of the resistor will depend on the capacitance of your bank and the desired discharge time. Again, it's important to consult with a professional or do thorough research before implementing this in your project.

I hope this gives you some ideas for how to proceed with your project. Remember to always prioritize safety and seek professional assistance if needed. Good luck!

1. How do I determine the appropriate power supply for my capacitor bank?

The power supply for a capacitor bank should be able to provide enough voltage and current to charge the bank to its desired voltage level. The voltage and capacitance of the bank will determine the minimum voltage and current required for the power supply. It is recommended to choose a power supply with a voltage rating slightly higher than the desired voltage level of the bank to account for any losses.

2. What type of power supply is best for a capacitor bank?

The best type of power supply for a capacitor bank is a regulated power supply. This type of power supply ensures that the voltage output remains constant, which is important for charging capacitors to their desired voltage level. Unregulated power supplies may have fluctuations in voltage, which can damage the capacitors.

3. Can I use a DC power supply for a capacitor bank?

Yes, a DC power supply can be used for a capacitor bank. However, the voltage and current ratings of the power supply should be checked to ensure they meet the requirements for charging the bank. In addition, a DC power supply should have a voltage regulation feature to ensure the voltage remains constant during the charging process.

4. How can I safely discharge a capacitor bank?

To safely discharge a capacitor bank, a high wattage resistor should be placed across the terminals of the bank. This will allow the stored energy to dissipate slowly, preventing any sudden discharge that could damage the capacitors. It is important to use caution and proper safety equipment when handling and discharging a capacitor bank.

5. Is it possible to use multiple power supplies for a larger capacitor bank?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple power supplies for a larger capacitor bank. Each power supply should have its own connection to the bank, and the voltage and current ratings of each power supply should be checked to ensure they are compatible with the bank. It is also important to ensure that the power supplies are properly synchronized to prevent any issues with charging the bank.