Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A Troubleshooting

In summary: I think kits are a great way to teach and that's why I include them in my classes.In summary, the problem the user is experiencing is that when they plug in their power supply to get a reading on their multimeter it reads 34v even if they try turning the pot, even though they have rewired the pots and made sure the transformer is working. They believe they may have wired something wrong on the board itself and are looking for any help they can get.
Growling_Mango
Hi!

I'm trying to build a variable voltage DC regulated power supply that is 0-30v and 2mA-3A. The problem I'm having is that as soon as I plug it into get a reading on my multimeter it reads 34v, even if I try turning the pot it does not change. I've rewired the pots and made sure the transformer is working so I believe I might have wired something wrong on the board itself. This is a kit that I bought to get some experience with soldering components and kind of learn a bit about how circuits work so I'm a bit in the dark and can only troubleshoot so far. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong and any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Growling_Mango said:
Hi!

I'm trying to build a variable voltage DC regulated power supply that is 0-30v and 2mA-3A. The problem I'm having is that as soon as I plug it into get a reading on my multimeter it reads 34v, even if I try turning the pot it does not change. I've rewired the pots and made sure the transformer is working so I believe I might have wired something wrong on the board itself. This is a kit that I bought to get some experience with soldering components and kind of learn a bit about how circuits work so I'm a bit in the dark and can only troubleshoot so far. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong and any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the PF.

Can you use the UPLOAD button to show us the schematic? If you could post a picture of the finished kit, that would help as well. :smile:

Here are the photos.
board.jpg
circuit_diagram.jpg

Growling_Mango said:
Nice!

So the schematic has node numbers on many of the nodes. Does the documentation give typical DC voltages for each of those nodes with respect to ground that you should be able to measure? That would help a lot in troubleshooting the circuit. What do you use for the transformer input to the bridge rectifier at the left of the circuit?

I actually just found out what the problem was! It turns out my solder job wasn't has good as I thought and after closely inspecting it found a few dry joints.

Growling_Mango said:
... after closely inspecting it found a few dry joints.
Were those for the power diodes by chance? A good rule of thumb, for me anyway, is apply enough iron/solder contact to see the solder coming completely up the thru-holes.

Nice work, BTW.

Yes this does look like nice work. I think kits are probably given less credit than they deserve as teaching tools. Now that it is up and working go ahead and make some measurements at various places in the circuit and write those figures down. Then work through it and get it straight in your head as to WHY those figures are what they are.
-
To add what dlgoff said, the power diodes as well as some of the headers probably have the largest amount of metal to heat which would make them the most difficult to get enough heat into to get a good solder joint.

dlgoff said:
Were those for the power diodes by chance?
To be completely honest I'm not too sure which connection it was. I ran through a bunch of them again just to make sure everything was set. I jumped into this thing with a very limited amount of knowledge so it's been fun working through it and figuring everything out, even if it's little by little. Thanks for the help guys!

Likes Averagesupernova and dlgoff
I didn't do much, but you're welcome. Sometimes my frustration with beginners is off the scale. Not here. You asked the question, did what you were asked, and in the meantime you went about it by yourself and solved the problem. Again, your work looks nice.

Nice job Growling_Mango, you did it! ...and welcome to the crowd of electronikers! :smile:

Averagesupernova said:
I think kits are probably given less credit than they deserve as teaching tools.

Agreed to the Max ! We learn 10X more by doing than by only reading about doing.

1. What is the purpose of a Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A?

A Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A is a device that is used to provide a steady and adjustable flow of electrical energy to power electronic circuits and devices. It is commonly used in laboratories and workshops for testing and troubleshooting electronic equipment.

2. How do I troubleshoot a Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A?

The first step in troubleshooting a Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A is to check the input power source and ensure it is functioning properly. Then, you should check the output voltage and current using a multimeter. If the values do not match the desired settings, there may be an issue with the internal components of the power supply that will require further investigation.

3. What are the common issues that can occur with a Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A?

Some common issues that can occur with a Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A include overheating, short circuits, and blown fuses. These issues can be caused by improper use or a malfunctioning internal component. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the power supply within its specified limits to avoid these issues.

4. Can I repair a malfunctioning Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A on my own?

If you have experience and knowledge in electronics, you may be able to repair a malfunctioning Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A on your own. However, it is always recommended to seek professional help or consult the manufacturer for guidance before attempting any repairs. Attempting to repair the power supply without proper knowledge and tools can be dangerous and may cause further damage.

5. How can I prevent damage to my Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A?

To prevent damage to your Power Supply 0-30V 2mA-3A, it is important to use it within its specified limits and avoid overloading it. You should also ensure that the input power source is stable and meets the required voltage and current ratings. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the power supply can also help prevent damage and prolong its lifespan.