Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power supply problems

1. Jul 10, 2017 #1
    I've got an old laptop charger 19v 3A for my solenoid.
    I used a multimeter to check the charger without and with load. I used a solenoid of insulated 22gauge of approx 150 turns as the load. On my first try without any load, it gave 20v DC on the multimeter.
    When I connected the load and connected the multimeter ,it gave values on AC part fluctuating back and forth from 0-1.5v . Can anyone help me out in this? Is there anyway to get DC out of it while on load ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You are shorting out its output, so it is in current limit until you remove the short.

You need to put a load of about 19V/3A = 6.3 Ohms on it to keep it out of current limit.

4. Jul 10, 2017 #3
    I tried 6ohms ( I don't remember correctly,but it's close to 6ohms) and the solenoid literally ceased to function :(

5. Jul 10, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What wattage resistor did you use? I^2 * R = 54W, so you would have needed a pretty big power resistor...

6. Jul 10, 2017 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

#22 is 16 milliohms per foot.

How many feet of #22 would it take to make six ohms ?
    On your solenoid's diameter, how many turns would that be ?

Do you understand the relation between amp-turns and magnetic field strength ?
    You might look that up . Train your search engine - it wants to please .

7. Jul 10, 2017 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

not surprised .... your LOAD, the coil, needs to be around 6 Ohms ... not a 6Ohm resistor in series with it :smile:

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted