Power supply to adapter

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to hook up my power supply to I/O Ethernet Adapter, and am getting confused with the wiring terminology.

The power supply is 24V DC (+/- terminals) and the Ethernet Adapter has NC, Chassis Ground, Common (C), and V (Supply).

I guess I am getting confused with what exactly Common and Chassis Ground are, and what I'm connecting the +/- to?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    I would put minus on "Common" and plus on "Supply". You might connect "Chassis" to a water pipe or other earth-grounded thingie to provide a little noise and interference protection. Usually chassis and common are connected together someplace in a system and it is best to do that in only one place to avoid "ground loops", so that's probably why they are separate on your box.

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    What does it mean when it says that the DC supply will be connected to the internal power bus?

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4
    It probably means that the DC supply goes directly to the supply lines (buss) of the thing. I can't think of a way to say that any clearer, sorry...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?