Power supply to adapter

1. I'm trying to hook up my power supply to I/O Ethernet Adapter, and am getting confused with the wiring terminology.

The power supply is 24V DC (+/- terminals) and the Ethernet Adapter has NC, Chassis Ground, Common (C), and V (Supply).

I guess I am getting confused with what exactly Common and Chassis Ground are, and what I'm connecting the +/- to?

2. jcsd
  3. I would put minus on "Common" and plus on "Supply". You might connect "Chassis" to a water pipe or other earth-grounded thingie to provide a little noise and interference protection. Usually chassis and common are connected together someplace in a system and it is best to do that in only one place to avoid "ground loops", so that's probably why they are separate on your box.
  4. What does it mean when it says that the DC supply will be connected to the internal power bus?
  5. It probably means that the DC supply goes directly to the supply lines (buss) of the thing. I can't think of a way to say that any clearer, sorry...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?