Calculating Charge for Replacing a Power Supply in an Electric Field Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment where a 12v D.C. power supply was placed in a dish of water and the coordinates of certain electric potentials were recorded on a graph paper. The professor then offered a extra-credit opportunity to determine the charge that could replace the power source. The student used the equation ∇V = -E to solve for q and divided it by 12v to get the charge Q.
CaptCakey

Homework Statement

In lab we did an experiment where there was a 12v D.C. power supply in a glass dish filled with water. We set the + and - terminals in the dish and a piece of graph paper underneath. With a volt-meter we hunted for certain electric potentials such as 2V, 4V, 0V, etc and wrote down the co-ordinates. This was then plotted, and we were told to draw the electric field. Basically a dipole. No big deal.

Then the professor offered us a lucrative opportunity for extra-credit which I can't resist because the class is difficult and I want to learn how to do things like this. The question is: For what charge Q could replace the 12V power source. This was all fine and dandy but I am sure I've made a mistake somewhere in my math. Not asking for an answer by the way. Any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

∇V = -E

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached files.

Edit by the way: I only show my result for the i vector componant because I did the Y similarly. I later took the magnitude of the resultant q vector for my answer.

Attachments

• p1.png
    p1.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 455
  • p2.png
    p2.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
I used the equation ∇V = -E, and solved for q. q = (1/2πε)∫[∇V]dAWhere V is the potential, E is the electric field, ε is the permittivity of free space, q is the charge, and dA is the area of the graph paper.I then took the integral of the electric field in each direction (i and y) and multiplied it by the area of the graph paper. This gave me the total charge of the power source. I then divided this by 12v to get the charge Q.

What is a power supply to point charge?

A power supply to point charge refers to the process of providing a source of electrical energy to a single, isolated charge. This charge can be either positive or negative and is typically represented by the symbol "q".

Why is a power supply necessary for a point charge?

A power supply is necessary for a point charge because it provides the charge with the energy it needs to generate an electric field. This electric field is what allows the charge to interact with other charges and participate in electrical processes.

What is the relationship between power supply and electric potential?

The power supply and electric potential are directly related to each other. The power supply is the source of energy that creates a change in electric potential, causing the point charge to have a difference in potential energy compared to its surroundings.

Can a power supply change the magnitude of a point charge?

No, a power supply does not have the ability to change the magnitude of a point charge. The magnitude of a point charge is a fundamental property that cannot be altered by external means. The power supply only provides the charge with the energy it needs to interact with other charges.

What is the formula for calculating the power supply to a point charge?

The formula for calculating the power supply to a point charge is P=VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. In the case of a point charge, the current (I) would be zero, as the charge is not moving, so the formula simplifies to P=0.