1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Supply to Point Charge

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In lab we did an experiment where there was a 12v D.C. power supply in a glass dish filled with water. We set the + and - terminals in the dish and a piece of graph paper underneath. With a volt-meter we hunted for certain electric potentials such as 2V, 4V, 0V, etc and wrote down the co-ordinates. This was then plotted, and we were told to draw the electric field. Basically a dipole. No big deal.

Then the professor offered us a lucrative opportunity for extra-credit which I can't resist because the class is difficult and I want to learn how to do things like this. The question is: For what charge Q could replace the 12V power source. This was all fine and dandy but I am sure I've made a mistake somewhere in my math. Not asking for an answer by the way. Any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. Relevant equations
    ∇V = -E

3. The attempt at a solution
    See attached files.

Edit by the way: I only show my result for the i vector componant because I did the Y similarly. I later took the magnitude of the resultant q vector for my answer.

Attached Files:

• p1.png
      p1.png
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
    • p2.png
      p2.png
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted