Power Supply

1. Is it unreasonable to buy or build a power supply circuit that is rated at 500V and 4Amps?

Thanks.

I know 500V is possible, but not at that high an amperage.

Anything in and around $5k would be fine.

2. jcsd
  3. Yea, would be alot cheaper to build one.

The problem would be finding a suitable step up 2000 W transformer to do the job.

But there is a way to get around that,

A simple step down transformer from 120 volts to 30 volts when connected in reverse will step up 120 V to 480 V. (turns ratio is 4)

Assuming the insulation holds up, you might get up to 1 amp from one transformer.

You would need four or more of these set ups in parallel to generate the required amperage at 500 V.

After you rectified them, you a simple transistor regulator.

4. I dont care about price, I just want it to work.

5. yes, will a little tinkering and tweaking could be done well under $500 bucks.

6. I dont care about price, I just want it to work.

I dont want to tinker, or tweak. I just want something that works.

If you know of any power supplies or circuits that would do what I want, please let me know.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  7. marcusl

marcusl 2,138
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are in an enviable position. Check out Lambda's high-power line; they have a 2.5kW supply that puts out 0-600VDC at up to 4 Amps, and others that will address your needs too.
    http://www.lambda-hp.com/product_html/emspower.htm

8. Yes, you are the man sir marcusl.

This is EXACTLY the reply I was looking for, thank you!

9. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried Agilent? They make (or used to?) some big ones like what you want. Check their website or give them a call. And don't expect to drop anything short of $5K...unless you build it yourself.

EDIT : Wrote this post when I hadn't yet seen marcusl's suggestion.

10. marcusl

marcusl 2,138
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoo! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?