Troubleshooting Computer Power Supply Issues

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their computer's power supply, which has burnt out twice in two weeks. They are unsure of the reason for this and are hesitant to buy a new one. Suggestions are given to determine the voltage needed, get a power supply with dual 12v rails, and stick to reputable brands. It is also recommended to return or RMA the unit if possible. The speaker is advised to avoid using the power supply that came with their case and to consider the possibility of a faulty outlet.
4-ize
my power supply for the computer has just burnt resently for the second time in less than twom weeks i obviously have to buy anothr one but am a bit hesitant cause i can't figure out y they keep burning nd the fault is not with my plugs please help wer u can...!:yuck::biggrin:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Too little information.
You could be just unfortunate.
Or the power supply could be too small for your application.
Or your contention that your plugs are ok could be wrong.

At two weeks you should be able to return or RMA the unit rather than buy a new one.

1) I'd determine the voltage needed by your components, you can do so http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php [Broken]. The wattage given, i'd up that up 50-100 watts, for overhead room and further stability

2) You want a Power Supply that has dual 12v rails, most newer ones have this, If you can get a modular one that would rock as it would help in the cable management inside your PC.

3) Brands you should stick with are Antec, Enermax, PC power Supply & Cooling, ThermalTake, and Zalman. Try to get one that has dual 120mm fans. Good luck, and remember, if you're building or have built a custom rig, toss the power supply that came with the case. They're mostly never good, have only one 12v rail and are cheaply made. Keep us updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you have a bad outlet in your wall? Otherwise, I would recommend getting a larger wattage or higher quality power supply.

1. How do I know if my power supply is faulty?

There are a few signs that may indicate a faulty power supply. These include random shutdowns or reboots, strange noises coming from the power supply, and failure to power on at all. You can also use a power supply tester or multimeter to check the voltage output of your power supply.

2. What can cause a power supply to fail?

Power supply failures can be caused by various factors, including power surges, overheating, and age. Poor quality or inadequate power supplies, as well as user error, can also contribute to failures.

3. How can I troubleshoot a power supply issue?

First, check all power connections to make sure they are secure. Then, try using a different power outlet or power strip. If the issue persists, disconnect all non-essential components and see if the power supply will turn on. If it does, then one of the components may be causing the issue. If none of these steps work, the power supply may need to be replaced.

4. Can I repair a faulty power supply?

In most cases, it is not recommended to attempt to repair a power supply. It can be dangerous and may require special tools or expertise. It is usually more cost-effective and safer to replace the power supply.

5. How do I choose the right power supply for my computer?

When choosing a power supply, you need to consider the wattage, efficiency, and quality of the unit. It is recommended to choose a power supply with a wattage that is equal to or slightly higher than your computer's requirements. Look for a power supply with at least 80% efficiency and from a reputable brand with good reviews.