Cell Phone Disruption During Power Surges: Exploring the Possible Causes

• Thread starter MacLaddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Power
In summary, while talking with their mother on the phone, the speaker experienced a power outage which also knocked out their cell phone. They speculate on possible causes such as high voltage spikes being transmitted through their body, poor shielding in the cell phone, or a nearby power pole or cell phone tower being affected by the power surge. They also mention a previous issue with their cell phone freezing and having to reboot it.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
Pacing in my office this afternoon, talking with my dear old mother on my cell phone; I happened to observe a brief power outage. A bump, or surge, if you will. It was a loud buzz (no transformer around me that I know of), lights went out, and strangely enough it knocked out my cell phone. I couldn't get a signal on it until I reset the phone...

Now what on Earth could have caused this? Everything came right back on afterwards, and all is back to normal, but I have never heard of cell phone interference from a power outage before.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's hard to say without knowing more variables that could have accounted for the cell phone disruption under the circumstance.

One possibility is a transition of a high voltage spike being transmitted to the surroundings, and then through your body to the cell phone. If the phone was plugged into a charger then chance of that would be greater.

Another possibility is that an EM spike could have overloaded the AGC (automatic gain control) low noise amplifier in the cell phone. But such an AGC should recover quickly from any EM transients. So perhaps it's just poor shielding in the cell phone.

I used to have a cell phone that would occasionally freeze once in a while. Had to reboot it every time it froze.

waht said:
One possibility is a transition of a high voltage spike being transmitted to the surroundings, and then through your body to the cell phone. If the phone was plugged into a charger then chance of that would be greater.

No, it wasn't plugged in when I was talking on it. And that's really a creepy thought, having a voltage spike surging through my body.

waht said:
I used to have a cell phone that would occasionally freeze once in a while. Had to reboot it every time it froze.

First time I've ever had to restart this phone. Only had it for a few months though. Plus the fact that all the lights went out at the same time.

I haven't checked yet, but I believe there may be a transformer on a power pole just a few yards away from my office wall. (I'm on the second floor) I am thinking that could have blown... But not sure yet.

Edit: Nope, no transformer, but as I suspected there is a power pole maybe 5 yards away from the wall I share.

Last edited:
The power spike could have affected the nearby cell phone tower that you were connected to. How far away is the nearest tower? I can see the nearest tower from my office window...

1. How does a power surge affect a cell phone?

A power surge can potentially damage a cell phone by sending a sudden spike of electricity through the device, causing internal components to fry or malfunction.

2. Can a power surge completely destroy a cell phone?

Yes, a power surge can cause irreparable damage to a cell phone, rendering it unusable.

3. Are newer cell phones more protected against power surges?

Newer cell phones may have built-in surge protection mechanisms, but they are not completely immune to power surges. It is still important to take precautions against power surges, such as using surge protectors and unplugging devices during a storm.

4. Can a cell phone charger cause a power surge?

Yes, a faulty or damaged cell phone charger can cause a power surge when plugged into an outlet.

5. What should I do if my cell phone is affected by a power surge?

If your cell phone is affected by a power surge, try restarting it or removing the battery. If it still does not work, it may need to be repaired or replaced.