1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Systems HW question

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The 3Phase loads are connected in parallel.
    L1(Purely Resistive) consumes 300KW. Connected in wye!
    L2(Purely Inductive) consumes 300KVAR. Connected in wye!
    L3(Purely Capacitive) consumes 300KVAR. Connected in wye!

The part I dont understand is the following: LiNE to LiNE Voltage is 5KV at the Load.
    My question is brief. I am trying to find out what does it mean by line to line voltage, in a wye connected

Also why are the units of consumption of the different loads different. I mean KW and KVAR's, or are they not different?

Thank you for the time applied to this question.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

KW (kilo-watts) is Real Power as opposed to KVARS (kilo-voltamperes-reactive). The reactive power is power that is stored in the capacitance or inductance of a system, and is unavailable for use.

In a Y, the central point of the Y would be neutral, and line-to-line means the volage/current between phases, as opposed to line-to-neutral.

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    Thank you!

Thank you for the help. I actually got everything done just those little details that I tried to find yesterday desperately. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?