1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Systems Matrices

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem
    I have a 4 x 4 matrix filled with imaginary numbers.

Each entry in the matrix is on the level of i0.XXXX.

To be more precise, it is an admittance matrix (for a power system) based on voltages and currents. I have to find the inverse in order to find the impedance matrix. I have the solution in front of me, yet with my calculator I keep getting a different answer. The answer my calculator gives is just the negative of what the solution gives.

Is there any easy mathematical way of solving matrices of this kind? I have looked online and no source seems to mention imaginary numbers; and I have yet to be taught it through 5 years of college.

Also, is there anything I can use online that can calculate it for me that I haven't found yet?

2. Relevant equations
    I know all of the general methods for solving matrices. This is not a questions about solving one single matrix.

3. The attempt at a solution
    See above.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?