1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Systems protection - how are modern relays connected

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    Hi, I have a PS&P assignment where we are designing the protection for a substation - its an overview of the type of protection etc.

I have a star delta 42MVA (cyclic rating) 132:22 kv TX...

I've done some research and want to use an SEL487E relay.

Since this is star delta (star nueltral is floating) I have a 30deg phase shift. This is traditionally accounted for by configuring the CT's in delta on the HV side and star on the LV side, yielding a net phase shift of zero.... This is fine for electromechanical relays and I get why it's done.

BUT - I think that since I have an electronic relay I can just have 6 completely independent CT's on each incoming/outgoing phase and feed a current to the relay.CT's are not connected at all - no differential element etc. Obviously I would account for the ratio in the TX by choosing CT ratios and tell the relay the setup, expected phase shift etc.

-----Is this setup done in practice or would the CT's still be configured opposite to the transformer wingdings??
    ------If this is done, can I use the same CT's for over-current protection????

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?