Solve this Math Problem: Find Last 2/3 Digits of 3^3^3^3

• Thread starter ilml
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving finding the last two digits of a large number. The person asking for help is unsure of how to approach the problem and suggests finding a pattern or recurrence. The other person advises solving a simpler problem first and notes a "4-periodicity" for the last digit. They also suggest seeking help in a number theory forum.
ilml
Hello, I was randomly browsing sites and I came upon this math question which I am stuck on (and desperately want to solve!): Find the last two digits of 3^3^3^3. Can you find the last three digits?

I'm stuck on this problem because I really don't know where to begin. I figure that you need to find a pattern or period of some sort, but the numbers grow too fast and therefore there aren't that many readily available samples. Any help is appreciated! THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of tackling the original problem, you should try first to find the answer to the following problem:
What is the last digit of the tower?
Note the following:
We have the recurrence pattern for the last digit:
3->3
3*3->9
3*3*3->7
3*3*3*3->1

And back again!
Hence, we have a "4-periodicity" for the last digit, and you should be able to solve the problem.

Clearly, you may grit your teeth together and find similar reccurrence patterns for the 2 last digits and 3 last digits problem.

However, I would believe that such recurrence patterns are well known in number theory; since I'm ignorant of that field, I can only suggest that you post your question in the "Number Theory" subforum.

To solve this problem, we can use the concept of modular arithmetic. The last two digits of a number can be found by dividing the number by 100 and taking the remainder.

First, let's simplify the expression by finding the last two digits of 3^3 and 3^3^3.
3^3 = 27, so the last two digits are 27 % 100 = 27.
3^3^3 = 27^3 = 19683, so the last two digits are 19683 % 100 = 83.

Now, we can use this information to find the last two digits of 3^3^3^3.
3^3^3^3 = 3^19683.
We can use the concept of modular exponentiation to simplify this expression.
3^n % 100 = (3 % 100)^n % 100
So, we can rewrite 3^19683 as (3 % 100)^19683 % 100.
Now, we can substitute the values we found earlier for 3^3 and 3^3^3.
3^19683 = (27)^83 % 100.
Using the same method as before, we can simplify this to (27 % 100)^83 % 100 = 83^83 % 100.

To find the last two digits, we can use the cyclicity of digits.
The last two digits of powers of 83 follow a pattern of 83, 89, 47, 41, 43, 49, 87, 81, 83...
So, the last two digits of 83^83 will be the same as the last two digits of 83^(83 % 8) = 83^3 = 27.
Therefore, the last two digits of 3^3^3^3 are 27.

Similarly, to find the last three digits, we can use the same method but instead find the last three digits of 3^3^3^3.
3^3^3^3 = 3^19683.
Using the concept of modular exponentiation, we can rewrite this as (3 % 1000)^19683 % 1000.
Substituting the values we found earlier, we get (27 % 1000)^83 % 1000

1. How do you approach solving this type of math problem?

To solve this type of math problem, it is helpful to break down the exponent operations one by one. In this case, we can first find the last two digits of 3^3, then use that result to find the last two digits of 3^3^3, and so on.

2. What is the general strategy for finding the last two digits of an exponent?

The general strategy for finding the last two digits of an exponent is to use modular arithmetic. This involves finding the remainder when the exponent is divided by 100, which gives us the last two digits of the result.

3. Can you explain the process for finding the last two digits of 3^3^3^3?

First, we find the last two digits of 3^3, which is 27. Then, we use this result to find the last two digits of 3^3^3, which is 27^3 = 19683. Finally, we use this result to find the last two digits of 3^3^3^3, which is 83^3 = 68921. Therefore, the last two digits of 3^3^3^3 are 21.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the last two digits of large exponents?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts and tricks that can make finding the last two digits of large exponents easier. One trick is to only consider the last two digits of the base number, in this case 3, and use patterns to determine the last two digits of the result. Another shortcut is to use the properties of modular arithmetic, such as (a*b) mod n = ((a mod n) * (b mod n)) mod n.

5. How can this type of math problem be applied in real life situations?

This type of math problem can be applied in various real life situations, such as cryptography, computer algorithms, and statistical analysis. In cryptography, modular arithmetic is used to encrypt and decrypt messages. In computer algorithms, modular arithmetic is used to optimize calculations and prevent overflow errors. In statistical analysis, modular arithmetic is used to analyze patterns and trends in data.