How to Calculate Power Transmission in a V-Belt Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a V-belt to transmit power from a 150mm diameter pulley directly driven at 250 rev per min to a 400mm diameter pulley. The included angle of the pulley groove is 40 degrees and the coefficient of friction is 0.4. The ultimate strength of the belt is 8kN and the goal is to find the actual power transmitted to the second pulley. The formula used is F1/F2=e^((μθ)/sinα)) and the smaller pulley's angle of lap is used to calculate F2. The power transmitted is found to be 1963.5 W or 1.9kW. The conversation also discusses
PizzaWizza
OK, struggling a little here to grasp this one. Any help guiding me in the correct direction would be welcome.

150mm diameter pulley is directly driven at 250 rev per min. A V-belt is used to transmit power from this electrically driven pulley to another, which is 400mm in diameter. The centre point distances between the two pulley's is 600mm.

The included angle of the pulley groove is 40 degrees.
The coefficient of friction is 0.4
The ultimate strength of the belt is 8kN

What I need to find is the actual power transmitted to the second pulley.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's what I have thus far and the relevant formula's

I should hasten to add that we're working against a load from the second pulley of 200 Nm.

Belt tension for V belts: F1/F2=e^((μθ)/sinα))

F1 = Tension in the tight side of the belt (N)
F2 = Tension in the slack side of the belt (N)
e = The constant 2.718
θ = Angle of lap of belt around the pulley (Rads)
μ = Friction coefficient
2α = included pulley groove angle

So from the info I'm given, I know that 2α = 40° α = 20°

I then need to find the angle of lap from each pulley.

Pulley A = 0.075m Radius
Pulley B = 0.2m Radius
The Radial difference of the two = 0.125m
ω = 250revs min^-1 = 250x((2π)/60) = 25/3 π Rad
Distance between the pulley's = 0.6m

Sin^-1α = (0.125/0.6) = 12.02°
∴ angle of lap on Pulley A = 180 - (2x12.02) = 155.96 = 2.72 rad
∴ angle of lap on Pulley B = 180 + (2x12.02) = 204.04 = 3.56 rad

I guess this is where I start to become unstuck, I need to use the tension formula previously stated, but am I assuming that F1 = 8kN max?

Update: Thinking about it, I don't/shouldn't need to use the tension formula to calculate power transmitted (I think that's going to be used for the second part of this problem). I need to know the angular velocity of the second pulley so I can use P= Tω

So, 250 revs min^-1 = 250(2π)/60 = 25/3 π rad s^-1

ω2 = 25/3 π rad s^-1 x (0.075/0.2) = 25/8 π

P= Tω and T = 200Nm
∴ P = 200 x (25/8 π) = 1963.5
Power transmitted to second pulley = 1963.5 W or 1.9kW

What you've done looks correct.

PizzaWizza said:
I need to use the tension formula previously stated, but am I assuming that F1 = 8kN max?
Yes. Once you have F2 you can find the torque on either pulley when the belt is about to break.
Then you should be able to answer a question like "What is the greatest possible load on the second pulley?"

Likes PizzaWizza
Thanks for feedback. That's pretty much the question to the next part.

Ok, so following on from this, to calculate the max load on the second pulley when the ultimate strength of the belt is halved!

If I use the V-Belt tension formula, using my new value (4kN) as F1, do I calculate for F2 using the larger angle of lap or the smaller? Large angle being the second pulley, smaller being pulley 1.

You should always use the smaller pulley. The smaller pulley will always slip before the larger pulley (assuming alpha and mu are constant)
If you do both ways and compare you'll see that using the larger pulley lap angle will give a lower F2 value: in which case the smaller pulley would be slipping.

Likes PizzaWizza
Thanks Billy, One final note, once I've calculate my new value of F2 and apply it to P = Tw, am I also using the smaller pulley's rotational speed for this formula?

Once you have the net tangential force (F1-F2) on both pulleys you can use that to find information about either pulley by using the appropriate radius.
In your case you want the torque load on pulley B. You don't need to use power or rotational speed, just good old T=Fr.

Likes PizzaWizza
Sorry, I've misled you somewhat due to my own mis-information. I'm trying to find the power transmitted once the belt strength is halved. So I've found what power is transmitted in the initial question, I need to find what it'll be after halving the original 8kN Max ultimate strength.

So, as I've already calculated the angle of lap, I can easily find out F2 using F1/F2=e^((μθ)/sinα)) and as you've pointed out, using the smaller pulley's angle of lap.

Once I have my new torque value, is it simply adding that new value to P= Tw to find new value of power transmitted (using rotational speed of second pulley) ?

Thanks again

Yep. Good work.

Likes PizzaWizza

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope, belt, or chain passing over it. It is used to change the direction or magnitude of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes, allowing for the force to be spread out and making it easier to lift. As the rope is pulled, the pulley rotates, and the object is lifted or moved.

3. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys are attached to a surface and change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys are attached to the object being lifted and reduce the force needed to lift it. Compound pulleys combine both fixed and movable pulleys to provide a mechanical advantage.

4. What are the advantages of using pulleys?

Using pulleys can provide several advantages, such as reducing the force needed to lift heavy objects, changing the direction of a force, and increasing the distance over which a force can be applied. Pulleys also allow for the use of smaller, more manageable forces to lift larger objects.

5. What are some common applications of pulleys?

Pulleys are used in a variety of applications, including construction, transportation, and manufacturing. Some common examples include elevators, cranes, sailboats, and weightlifting equipment. They are also used in everyday objects like window blinds and garage doors.