1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power up incline

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    Car travels up 10% grade at constant speed of 35 m/s. The car is 2000 kg and requires a total force of 600N on a regular, flat incline. What is the power required to get up the grade?

P=FxV

%10 percent incline = arctan(.1)... theta = 5.7, so the displacement would be about 10.1 (depending how you treat the grade). Then I plugged into the equation P = Fcos(theta)(displacement)(velocity).... This does not yield the correct answer!!! It's got to be how I'm dealing with the grade. I'm not sure what to do with it. Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm guessing from the problem that a 'flat incline' is one with no slope, and that it requires 600N force to keep the car moving at 35m/s on a horizontal surface (apparently to overcome friction and air drag, etc.). So when it moves up the incline, it must provide 600N PLUS an additional component to overcome the gravity component acting down the plane. No need to look at displacements, just calculate the required 'F' and multiply it by V. Your angle theta is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?