1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power usage in wires

1. Feb 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A household appliance consumes 1800W of power from a 120V wall plug. Calculate the power consumed due to a wire of length L = 22.0m and diameter D1 = 1.628mm (with resistivity p = 1.680 x 10-8Ωm). If a house spends $1400 per year in electricity bills, how much money can be saved per year by rewiring the house with a new wire of diameter D2 = 2.053mm?

2. Relevant equations
    P = IV

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the power dissipated by the wire, which should be P = 25.1W using the formula P = I2R (for the second wire) and P = 39.9W (for the first wire). However, I do not know how to relate this with the money spent. How should I approach this problem? I'm not sure on how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I think you must be expected to assume that the same percentage of money is wasted as you calculate here for power wasted.

4. Feb 7, 2014 #3
    I haven't checked the dissipations, I'll roll with what you have.

Some amount out of the 1400$ is spent on the lost power. The total bill is n(A + 0.0399)kWh*rate. "A" is just the sum of the power consumption of other appliances, which don't concern us and "n" represents whatever amount of time power was being consumed.
    If n(A + 0.0399)kWh * Rate = 1400$, how would you find the bill if you replaced the wire?

You win some certain amount of power by replacing the wire (39.9 - 25.1 = 14.8W) this 0.0148* n * kWh * Rate is the amount of dollars you don't have to spend, hence you can subtract it from the 1400$.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted