Calculating Powerboat Velocity Across Moving River

• Thread starter helpneeded01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, This is a vector sum problem where one adds the velocity of the boat (10 m/s at 45 degrees from north with respect to water) to the velocity of the river (4.2 m/s due north). The resultant vector is then found using law of cosines and the angle with respect to north is determined. To find the angle west of north, one can use unit vectors and the knowledge that -i points due west.
helpneeded01
This question is confusing, can someone please help me on this question.
A powerboat heads due northwest at 10 m/s relative to the water across a river that flows due north at 4.2 m/s. What is the velocity (both magnitude and direction) of the motorboat relative to the shore?
How would I find the velocity and the degrees west of north?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is confusing, can someone please help me on this question.
A powerboat heads due northwest at 10 m/s relative to the water across a river that flows due north at 4.2 m/s. What is the velocity (both magnitude and direction) of the motorboat relative to the shore?
How would I find the velocity and the degrees west of north?

This is a vector sum problem.

One adds the two vectors velocity of the boat 10 m/s at 45° from north with respect to water, and 4.2 m/s (velocity with respect to shoreline) due north (river flows north). Find the resultant vector and the angle with respect to north, then component of velocity due north. Think scalar product.

im still not getting this...

Please refer to these examples of relative motion and please read about vector addition if that concept is not clear.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relmot.html#c2

Then please write the velocity vector for the boat with respect to water, i.e. 10 m/s due NW. Then write the velocity vector for the river flow, 4.2 m/s due N.

Then find the sum (resultant vector). Let unit vector i point due E, so -i points due west, and take unit vector j as pointing due north.

Then knowing the resultant vector, find its magnitude and the angle with respect to north.

thank you very much :)

Assuming when you say "due northwest" meaning 45 degrees west of north. Using this then we can set up vectors to solve this. One of your vectors is 10 m/s at 45 degrees north of west and another is at 4.2 m/s north or 0 degrees. Using law of cosines you can use this information to solve for your resulting vector. This was my equation for law of cosines
C=[tex]\sqrt{10^{2}+4.2^{2}-2*10*4.2*cos(135)}[/tex]

how would you find the angle west of north?

1. How is powerboat velocity calculated?

The formula for powerboat velocity is V = (P * 60) / (D * W), where V is velocity in knots, P is power in horsepower, D is displacement in pounds, and W is the weight of the boat in pounds.

2. How does weight affect powerboat velocity?

The weight of a powerboat has a direct impact on its velocity. The heavier the boat, the more power and energy will be required to move it through the water, resulting in a lower velocity.

3. What is the average velocity of a powerboat?

The average velocity of a powerboat can vary greatly depending on factors such as boat size, weight, and engine power. However, most powerboats typically have a top speed of 35-45 knots (40-50 mph).

4. Can a powerboat exceed its maximum velocity?

Yes, a powerboat can exceed its maximum velocity under certain conditions such as strong winds or currents. However, this can be dangerous and is not recommended by manufacturers.

5. How does engine power affect powerboat velocity?

The more powerful an engine, the faster a powerboat can reach its maximum velocity. However, a more powerful engine also means higher fuel consumption and maintenance costs.