Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Powering a micropump

1. Apr 28, 2014 #1
    Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to power a micropump system that requires 100 volts. I looked at some current micro batteries, and their voltages range between 2 - 4 volts.

I am confused on how to provide enough power. Do I just use several batteries in series or use a voltage multiplier or both? Is there a more efficient way to power this type of device? The system I am trying to create is similar in dimension to a pacemaker.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

hi
    welcome to PF

a micropump that requires 100V ?

have you go a link to the datasheet for your particular pump ?

cheers
    Dave

4. Apr 28, 2014 #3
    Thanks, Dave. It is a piezoelectric pump that we created using CAD. I don't have a datasheet for the pump.

5. Apr 28, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the application? What are the specs you are trying to achieve with your micropump?

6. Apr 28, 2014 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Then how did you arrive at the requirement of 100V?

Edit; wait, did you pick/calculate it yourself based on the amount you want your material to deflect?

7. Apr 29, 2014 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Voltage is not power. How many watts? How much current flow do you need at 100V?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook