Inverse of a Cycle: Proof of Inverse Cycles and Powers

• Thread starter fishturtle1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutations
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of a cycle of length s and showing that it is equal to the cycle raised to the power of s-1. The hint given is to consider what power of the cycle leaves it unchanged, and the use of permutation matrices is also suggested. The conclusion is that the inverse of the cycle is equal to the cycle raised to the power of s-1.
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

In the following problems, let ##\alpha## be a cycle of length s, say ##\alpha = (a_1a_2 ... a_s)##

3)Find the inverse of ##\alpha## and show that ##\alpha^{-1} = \alpha^{s-1}##

Homework Equations

I've observed in the previous problem that there are ##s## distinct powers of ##\alpha##, similar to how ##\mathbb{Z}_n## has n elements.

The Attempt at a Solution

The inverse of ##\alpha## is ##\alpha^{-1} = (a_sa_{s-1} ... a_2a_1)##

I need to show ##\alpha^1 = \alpha^{s-1}##
I've tried ##\alpha^{-1}\alpha^1 = \alpha^{-1}\alpha^{s-1}##
=> ##e = \alpha^{s-2}##

and ##\alpha^1\alpha^{-1} = \alpha^{s-1}\alpha^{-1}##
=> ##e = \alpha^{s-2}##

and ##\alpha^{-1}\alpha^s = \alpha^{s-1}\alpha^s##
=> ##\alpha{s-1} = \alpha^{2s-1}##, and since there are only ##s## distinct permutations, maybe somehow we can conclude ##\alpha^{2s-1} = \alpha^{2s-1-s} = \alpha^{s-1}##.. But if that's the case, I can use that same argument starting with ##\alpha^1 = \alpha^{s-1}##

I am asking for a small hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

3)... show that ##\alpha^{-1} = \alpha^{s-1}##

I need to show ##\alpha^1 = \alpha^{s-1}##
Um... No. Reread the question.

hint: raising to what power leaves things intact? i.e. what ##\alpha## to the what power is the identity operation?
- - - -
note: it's perhaps a matter of taste (and what course you are in), but I would use permutation matrices to show this. Then again, I really like matrices and matrix groups.

haruspex said:
Um... No. Reread the question.
StoneTemplePython said:
hint: raising to what power leaves things intact? i.e. what ##\alpha## to the what power is the identity operation?
- - - -
note: it's perhaps a matter of taste (and what course you are in), but I would use permutation matrices to show this. Then again, I really like matrices and matrix groups.
OK i made a mistake reading the question, sorry about that, but think I can use post 3's hint..

We observed that raising a permutation, ##\alpha## of length s, to the ##s^{th}## power, we have ##\alpha^s = e##.
Therefore ##\alpha^{-1} = \alpha^{-1}e = \alpha^{-1}\alpha^s = \alpha^{s-1}## []

1. What are powers of permutations?

Powers of permutations refer to the operation of multiplying a permutation by itself a certain number of times. This results in a new permutation that represents the composition of the original permutation with itself.

2. How do powers of permutations work?

To find the power of a permutation, you simply multiply the permutation by itself the specified number of times. For example, if you have the permutation (1 2 3) and want to find its square, you would multiply (1 2 3) by (1 2 3) to get the permutation (1 3 2). This represents the composition of the first permutation with itself, resulting in a new permutation.

3. What is the significance of powers of permutations?

Powers of permutations are important in understanding the structure and behavior of permutations. They can be used to simplify and solve more complex permutation problems, as well as in applications such as cryptography and coding theory.

4. Can any permutation be raised to any power?

Yes, any permutation can be raised to any power. However, not all powers of permutations will result in distinct permutations. For example, raising a permutation to the power of 2 will always result in the same permutation, as the composition of a permutation with itself is always the same permutation.

5. How are powers of permutations related to other mathematical concepts?

Powers of permutations are closely related to other mathematical concepts such as group theory and combinatorics. They can also be used in conjunction with other mathematical operations, such as cycles and transpositions, to solve more complex problems involving permutations.