Powers of sums/Fractional exponents

• Thread starter Richay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
The only exception is when b is odd, and in that case (-a)b=-ab, but only because (-1)b=-1 for odd b.
Richay
I was never taught how to do this.
How do i solve this. (x + 5)3 ?
I'm thinking it's 15x?

And for fractional exponenets.
(-27)-2/3 =? and how do i solve for it W/O parenthesis -27-2/3 =?

And if i get a mixed fractions like http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6532/bb0fx.gif ?[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your first problem, as it stands
(x + 5)3 = 3x + 15
but i think you meant to say
[tex](x+5)^3[/tex]
you can do this by applying the following twice
[tex](a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2[/tex]

[tex](a+b)^3=a^3+3a^2b+3ab^2+b^3[/tex]
so
[tex](x+5)^3=x^3+15x^2+75x+125[/tex]

You first problem is a bit strange as it just yields solutions at x=-5

Your second question can be broken down a bit, basically by employing

[tex]x^{ab}=(x^a)^b[/tex] and [tex]x^{-a}=1/x^a[/tex]

i.e.

[tex](-27)^{-2/3}=(-1)^{-2/3}(27)^{-2/3}=(-1)^{-2/3}((27)^{-2})^{1/3}=(-1)^{-2/3}((1/27)^2)^{1/3}=(-1)^{-2/3}(1/729)^{1/3}=(-1)^{-2/3}(1/9)[/tex]

The [tex](-1)^{-2/3}[/tex] bit requires you to know a bit about complex numbers too...

J77, why complicate the simple?

The second question doesn't require any knowledge about complex numbers, since (-1)-2/3 has an odd number in the denominator of the exponent.

My experience is that people prefer to work with smaller numbers whenever possible. But maybe that's just me projecting my own preference onto others... (1/27)2/3 is a little easier to work with if you take the cube root before squaring - (1/3)2 = 1/9. Easier to take the cube root of 27 than the cube root of 729. Also easier to square 3 than to square 27.

About your third question, Richay, a negative exponent means that number "wants" to be on the other side of the fraction bar. E.g. 2-3 = 1/23. 1/5-2 = 52. If the exponents are negative fractions, the same rule applies. You just have one extra step you need to take when evaluating the expression.

Nimz:
And, what, may I ask, is
[tex](-1)^{-\frac{4}{6}}[/tex]
equal to?
Do you still think that no knowledge of complex numbers is needed?

Exactly, last time I looked...

[tex]-1=e^{i\pi}[/tex]

ie.

[tex](-1)^{-2/3}=e^{-2i\pi/3}=\cos(2\pi/3)-i\sin(2\pi/3)\approx-0.5-i0.866[/tex]

Actually

[tex] -1=e^{i\left(2k+1\right)\pi} , \forall{k\in\mathbb{Z}}[/tex]

Daniel.

My bad. I may have assumed too much in making the simplification of selecting k=1 (mod 3) in the formula -1=ei(2k+1)pi. Incidentally, that is the same assumption made when making y=x1/(2n+1) a function over the domain of all reals.

As to what (-1)-4/6 equals, it is precisely (-1)-2/3 :biggrin: (which can be anyone of the three cube roots of unity).

Back to the OP's questions, in general, (-a)b isn't the same as -ab, even with whole exponents. The former expression indicates multiplying (-a) by itself b times, while the latter expression indicates multiplying a by itself b times, with a coefficient of -1.

1. What is a power of a sum?

A power of a sum is a mathematical expression that involves raising a sum of numbers to a certain exponent. For example, (2 + 3)^3 is a power of a sum where the sum of 2 and 3 is raised to the third power.

2. What is a fractional exponent?

A fractional exponent is a way of representing a power that is not a whole number. It is written as a fraction, with the numerator representing the power and the denominator representing the root. For example, 4^(1/2) is the square root of 4, which is equal to 2.

3. How do you simplify powers of sums with fractional exponents?

To simplify powers of sums with fractional exponents, you can use the product rule of exponents. This means that you multiply the exponents when raising a power to another power. For example, (2 + 3)^(1/2) can be simplified to 2^(1/2) + 3^(1/2), which is equal to √2 + √3.

4. Can you have a negative exponent in a power of a sum?

Yes, you can have a negative exponent in a power of a sum. This is equivalent to taking the reciprocal of the expression raised to the positive exponent. For example, (2 + 3)^(-2) is the same as 1/(2 + 3)^2.

5. How do you solve equations with powers of sums and fractional exponents?

To solve equations with powers of sums and fractional exponents, you can use the property of equality of exponents. This means that if two powers with the same base are equal, then their exponents must also be equal. For example, if (2 + 3)^x = (2 + 3)^3, then x must equal 3.