1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poynting Vector Energy Delivered

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If B0 = 5*10^-7 [T], relative permittivity = 2 and relative permeability = 1.15 how much energy is delivered to an area of 1m^2 by the wave in one second?

Where B0 is a magnetic field measured in teslas.

2. Relevant equations

< P > = ((B0^2)*c*(1)) / (2*(vacuum permeability))

(1 is the area given to me)

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem here is that I don't know how to use the relative permittivity and relative permeability. I've been googling for a few hours to try and find a relation between them and the poynting vector but i can't find anything at all.

I know c = 1/root(vacuum permittivity*vacuum permeability) but that doesn't really help me.

I'm pretty sure that's the equation I have to use but i'm thinking i need to *modify* it. My best guess is that maybe i should use c/n instead so the equation would be:

< P > = ((B0^2)*c*(1)) / (2*(vacuum permeability)*n)

n = root(relative permittivity * relative permeability)

Can anyone confirm if this is right and if not how would you use the relative permittivity and relative permeability?

Thanks
    Richy

edit: c = 1/root(vacuum permittivity*vacuum permeability) (forgot the 1 over originally whoops)

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Close, but you missed one thing: when "converting" EM equations from vacuum to a material, you just convert the permittivity and permeability from their vacuum values to their in-material values everywhere they occur in the equation. So if you start with
    [tex]\langle P\rangle = \frac{B_0^2 c A}{2 \mu_0} = \frac{B_0^2 A}{2 \mu_0\sqrt{\mu_0\epsilon_0}}[/tex]
    then in the material, your equation becomes
    [tex]\langle P\rangle = \frac{B_0^2 A}{2 \mu\sqrt{\mu\epsilon}} = \frac{B_0^2 c A}{2 n \mu}[/tex]
    where [tex]\mu = 1.15\mu_0[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon = 2\epsilon_0[/tex].

So basically I think you're right about inserting the factor of n, but you also need to add a factor to the permeability that appears in the denominator.

4. May 11, 2009 #3
    Thanks so much! This was confusing me for so long but i get it now, you're a star ^_^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook