Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poynting's Theorem in Forms

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    In this PDF file, through some guess work, I propose a p-form equivalent of Poynting's Theorem and derive his expression in the tensor calculus--oops, I mean, vector calc. It happened to work.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6215524/Post%20of%20Notes%20on%20Poyntings%20Theorem.pdf" [Broken]

Pointing's equation of energy continuity appears as the temporal component of a 1-form.

G*dG + F*dF = FK–GJ, ​

F is the Faraday tensor with lower indices, and G=*F, the Hodge dual of F. J and K are the covariant charge/current density 4-vector duals; electric and magentic. Though derived in pseudo Riemann normal coordinates, it is true under general coordinate transforms.

In afterthought I think the p-form equations as well as Poynting's Theorem are at root physically meaningless, via the hidden invocation of magnetic and electric currents in propagating electromagnetic fields.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted