What Is Poynting's Vector and How Is It Calculated?

• Thread starter Jack_O
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the Poynting vector, which is the product of the electric field and the auxiliary magnetic field. The individual is unsure how to use the equation S=ExH and is seeking help. The other person suggests leaving the final answer as a vector for better evaluation and to check the integration step. They also recommend looking up the Poynting vector on Wikipedia for more information.
Jack_O
Problem:

1.jpg

Attempt:

1a.jpg

I think I've done the first bit correctly (but I'm not certain). As for the second half of the question I'm at a loss. I have looked up poyntings vector and found S=ExH where H is the auxiliary magnetic field (i'm not sure what this means) and S=(1/u(0)) (ExB), but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In free space, the auxiliary field H is just [tex]B/\mu_0[/tex]

Your answer to the first part is correct for the most part, however it is better to leave your final answer as a vector - that will help you evaluate vector cross products better. Please also check your integration step.

Wikipedia has an excellent article on the Poynting vectors, and how it is related to the intensity of the wave. You should look it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poynting_vector

Hello,

Poynting's vector, also known as the Poynting flux, is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the directional flow of energy in an electromagnetic field. It is defined as the cross product of the electric field vector, E, and the magnetic field vector, H, and is represented by the symbol S. The equation for Poynting's vector is S = E x H.

In order to solve a problem involving Poynting's vector, you will need to have information about the electric and magnetic fields present in the system. This can include the strength and direction of the fields, as well as any other relevant variables such as the medium in which the fields are propagating.

Without more specific information about the problem you are trying to solve, it is difficult to provide a more detailed response. However, some general steps for solving a problem involving Poynting's vector could include:

1. Identify the electric and magnetic fields present in the system.
2. Determine the direction and magnitude of each field.
3. Use the cross product formula, S = E x H, to calculate the Poynting vector.
4. Interpret the results in the context of the problem, considering factors such as energy flow and direction.

I hope this helps guide you in solving your Poynting's vector problem. If you need further assistance, please provide more specific information about the problem and I would be happy to assist you further.

Best,

1. What is Poynting's vector problem?

Poynting's vector problem is a theoretical physics problem that deals with the electromagnetic field in a charged particle's immediate vicinity. It is named after John Henry Poynting, a British physicist who first introduced the concept in 1884.

2. What is the significance of Poynting's vector problem?

Poynting's vector problem is important because it helps us understand the behavior and interactions of electromagnetic fields and charged particles. It has applications in various fields such as electronics, optics, and particle physics.

3. What is the mathematical expression for Poynting's vector problem?

The mathematical expression for Poynting's vector problem is given by:
S = E x H
where S is the Poynting vector, E is the electric field, and H is the magnetic field.

4. What is the physical interpretation of Poynting's vector?

The Poynting vector represents the direction and magnitude of the flow of electromagnetic energy in a given region of space. It points in the direction of the energy flow and its magnitude is proportional to the intensity of the electric and magnetic fields.

5. How is Poynting's vector problem related to electromagnetic radiation?

Poynting's vector problem is closely related to electromagnetic radiation, as it describes the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves. The Poynting vector is used to calculate the intensity and direction of electromagnetic radiation, such as light, radio waves, and X-rays.