PPM Calibration Gas - HVAC Service Business

• Thread starter Wayne3210
  • Start date
In summary: For gaseous solutions, there can be a lot of variation, even within a single laboratory, due to variations in temperature, pressure and other factors.Parts per million, also called milligrams per liter, is a measure of the concentration of a gas in air. It is commonly used to describe the level of a gas in the environment.
Wayne3210
TL;DR Summary
µgm/gm PPM concentrations close enough?
Been a while since I was here...thanks in advance for any replies. :smile:

I'm in the HVAC service business and part of that "service" involves locating (or attempting to locate) refrigerant leaks. And that usually involves the use of some sort of electronic hand held detector. Thing is, not all detectors are the same and lately I've been comparing detector performance (sensitivity) via a "homemade" calibration gas.

The calibration gas is concocted by introducing a known weight (µgm) of a refrigerant into a bucket containing a calculated weight (gm) of air, based on published "normal" air conditions. So, my "defined" PPM ratio is µgm/gm.

Is that close enough for a backyard chemistry lab?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A lot depends on a kind of ppm - it can be w/w, w/v or v/v. Your approach is perfect for w/w, other types will require some additional conversion factor.

Thanks...:wink:

Not sure if my understanding of the situation is clear, but parts per million can be taken as milligrams per liter.

symbolipoint said:
Not sure if my understanding of the situation is clear, but parts per million can be taken as milligrams per liter.

It's a matter of detecting a small amount of refrigerant vapor within the surrounding air space. The first time around, I think I used some unit of refrigerant weight relative to volume, never thinking in terms of weight to weight ratios. After more research, I read gas concentrations were better defined in terms of weight.

My concern is whether or not the method of simple gas weights is significantly less accurate than using molecular weights...I don't really want to deal with moles and Avogadro's number. I did pretty good in college physics but chemistry was not my strong suit... o0)

Thanks...

symbolipoint said:

That's w/v for water solutions (where mass of 1 L can be safely assumed to be close to 1 kg).

1. What is PPM calibration gas and why is it important for HVAC service businesses?

PPM calibration gas is a mixture of gases that are used to calibrate gas detection equipment, such as sensors and analyzers, to ensure accurate readings. In the HVAC service industry, it is important to have properly calibrated equipment to accurately detect and measure the levels of harmful gases in a building's air supply.

2. How often should PPM calibration gas be used in HVAC service businesses?

The frequency of PPM calibration gas usage will vary depending on the specific equipment and industry regulations. However, it is generally recommended to calibrate gas detection equipment at least once every 6 months to ensure accurate readings.

3. Can PPM calibration gas be used for all types of gas detection equipment?

No, PPM calibration gas may vary in composition and concentration depending on the type of gas detection equipment. It is important to use the correct type of PPM calibration gas for each specific device to ensure accurate calibration.

4. How is PPM calibration gas stored and handled?

PPM calibration gas should be stored in a cool, dry, and well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight and sources of heat. It should also be handled with caution and in accordance with safety guidelines, as some gases may be hazardous. It is important to regularly check the expiration date and replace PPM calibration gas as needed.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for PPM calibration gas in the HVAC service industry?

Yes, there are various regulations and standards that must be followed when using PPM calibration gas in the HVAC service industry. These may include OSHA regulations, industry-specific guidelines, and manufacturer recommendations. It is important for HVAC service businesses to stay up-to-date on these regulations to ensure compliance and safety.