1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ppm of iron from mL ?

1. Nov 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi. I just did a lab where we are to determine the amount of iron present in a vitamin based on its absorbance (after reacting it with hydroquinon and o-phenanthroline) and I am having trouble making a conversion.

At the beginning of lab, we prepared a " .04 mg/mL = 40 ppm " standard Fe solution.

For our calibration curve, we made 1 sample using 10 mL of standard Fe mixed with some citrate (to adjust ph i think), 2mL of hydroquinone, and 3 mL of o-phenanthroline and then diluted with water to 100mL.

Then, samples was made using 5, 2, 1 and 0 standard iron.

I took absorbances and now need to construct my calibration curve, but I am to use concentration, not mL.

Let's say, for the 10mL standard Fe sample. Am I supposed to just say that for every mL, there are .04 mg of iron and for every .04 mg of iron it is 40 ppm. So 10 mL is .04*10=.4mg of iron and .4 mg of iron is 400 ppm ?

is this the correct way to convert?

So I would have

1mL std Fe --> 40 ppm
    2mL std Fe --> 80 ppm
    5mL std Fe --> 200 ppm
    10mL std Fe --> 400 ppm

Is this right? I'm not sure if I need to account for the fact that it was diluted? I'm confused.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2011 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

ppm (parts per million) is a unit of concentration. For water, 1 g = 1 mL, so one part per million is equal to one millionth of a gram per mL (i.e. 1 µg/mL = 0.001 mg/mL).

Your standard solution has a concentration of 0.04 mg/mL = 40 ppm. You then dilute 10mL of the 40 ppm solution into 100mL total solution. What concentration is this 100mL solution?

4. Nov 5, 2011 #3
    ok, so for the 10mL standard, would it be 4 ppm since it is diluted in 100mL? 10mL * .04mg/mL *(1/100mL)= .004 mg/mL = 4 micro g /mL = 4 ppm ?

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook