1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Practical ceramics

1. Jan 7, 2005 #1
    The space shuttle had thousands of tiles that were close to the ultimate insulators. Has anyone gotten to the point where they're not $1000s a pound yet? I was wondering if anyone has created a thermos bottle that you could put in a microwave for a reasonable price. Why can't they spin off something useful from all those $ they spent on the shuttle?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't see what's so useful about a thermos that can be put in a microwave. A good thermos shouldn't need to be put in a microwave, and if you want to heat up your coffee anyway, why carry it in a thermos ? Or maybe I'm just used to getting hot (albeit lousy) coffee from the vending machine.

I think I'm missing the point here...I don't see the relevance of the ceramic tiles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?