Practical examples of fludic thrust vectoring

In summary, while there are no commercially available fluidic thrust vectoring engines, numerous studies and experiments have demonstrated its feasibility and potential benefits. Some promising developments have been made, but challenges in control systems and cost have hindered its practical adoption. Relevant papers can be found in NASA's Langley Research Center and the AIAA's Journal of Propulsion and Power.
jhae2.718
Gold Member
This may be more relevant to aero than general mech e, but since it has to do with propulsion I figure that this is the best section to post this.

Does anyone here know of any practical example of a fluidic thrust vectoring engine for aircraft?

From research all I have been able to ascertain is that various experiments, such as those of NASA's LRC, have demonstrated the feasibility of the concept of using fluid dynamics to skew the exhaust from a jet engine through various methods, including coflow, counterflow, and shock. (See "Summary of Fluidic Thrust Vectoring Research Conducted at NASA Langley Research Center" by Karen A. Deere, AIAA-2003-3800)

However, these all seem to utilize complex and unwieldy systems for manipulating the flow in the secondary air channels to create the desired vectoring effect. What I am trying to figure out for a project I am working on is whether such a fluidic thrust vectoring nozzle that is ready for adoption has been created, and, if so, how the control of the secondary flow was engineered. I've looked at various AIAA papers, especially those from the various AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conferences, and haven't really found what I'm looking for.

Have I missed anything, and if so, are there any papers worth reading that you could point me to?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

As a scientist with expertise in fluid dynamics and propulsion, I can provide some insight into your question. While there have been numerous studies and experiments on fluidic thrust vectoring, there are currently no commercially available aircraft engines that utilize this technology. Most of the research has been focused on demonstrating the feasibility and potential benefits of fluidic thrust vectoring, rather than creating a practical and marketable engine.

One of the main challenges in implementing fluidic thrust vectoring is the complexity and cost of the systems required to control the secondary air flow. As you mentioned in your post, these systems can be unwieldy and may require significant modifications to the engine design. This makes it difficult for manufacturers to justify the investment in developing and producing a fluidic thrust vectoring engine.

That being said, there have been some promising developments in recent years. For example, NASA's X-36 research aircraft successfully demonstrated fluidic thrust vectoring in flight tests in the late 1990s. More recently, the US Air Force has been working on a fluidic thrust vectoring system for the F-16 fighter jet, which has shown promising results in ground tests.

In terms of papers to read, I would recommend looking into the work of Dr. Karen Deere at NASA's Langley Research Center, as she has been a leading researcher in this field. Additionally, the AIAA's Journal of Propulsion and Power often publishes papers on fluidic thrust vectoring, and you may find some relevant studies there.

Overall, while there are no commercially available examples of fluidic thrust vectoring engines for aircraft, the technology is still being actively researched and there have been some promising developments in recent years. I hope this information has been helpful and good luck with your project.

1. What is fludic thrust vectoring?

Fludic thrust vectoring is a method of controlling the direction of thrust in a fluid (such as air or water) by manipulating the flow of the fluid itself. It is often used in aerospace applications to improve the maneuverability and efficiency of aircraft.

2. How does fludic thrust vectoring work?

Fludic thrust vectoring works by using the Coanda effect, which states that a fluid will follow a curved surface rather than traveling in a straight line. By directing fluid flow over a curved surface, the direction of thrust can be controlled without the need for mechanical moving parts.

3. What are some practical examples of fludic thrust vectoring?

Some practical examples of fludic thrust vectoring include the F-22 Raptor and F-35 Lightning II fighter jets, which use fludic thrust vectoring to improve maneuverability and stealth capabilities. It is also used in rockets and missiles to control their trajectory during flight.

4. What are the advantages of using fludic thrust vectoring?

The main advantage of using fludic thrust vectoring is that it eliminates the need for heavy and complex mechanical parts, making it a more lightweight and efficient solution. It also allows for more precise and rapid control of thrust, improving the overall performance of the vehicle.

5. Are there any limitations to fludic thrust vectoring?

While fludic thrust vectoring is a useful technology, it does have some limitations. It is not as effective at lower speeds and altitudes, and can be affected by external factors such as wind and turbulence. Additionally, it requires careful design and calibration to ensure optimal performance.