Practical Questions: Answers Wanted

• Thread starter ccdantas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Practical
In summary, Christine asked two questions: 1) Is it possible to receive posts and comments from someone else's blogs via email? 2) Is it possible to save videos from Perimeter Institute on the hard disk? William Donnelly suggested using a script in Linux or the VLC media player to save the videos, while FSC729 recommended using the VLC media player and provided resources for support. Christine expressed her gratitude and mentioned her previous use of Linux.
ccdantas
Dear colleagues,

Perhaps you can help me on this... :redface:

I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to receive posts and comments from someone else's blogs via email (something like an rss to email converter)?

2) Is it possible to save videos from Perimeter Institute on the hard disk?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Christine

Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding point #2, what operating system are you using?

In linux I wrote a script that will call "mplayer -dumpstream" on the video and "wget" on all the slides. It is very primitive (my bash scripting skills are non-existant) but gets the job done. I would gladly make it available if you like.

Glad to hear I am not the only one that finds their web interface cumbersome and ridiculous.

Another way to save perimeter institute video is to use the VLC media player. This is a free cross-platform media player available here:

http://www.videolan.org/

If you need support for the VLC media player you can go here:

http://forum.videolan.org/

Good Luck

John G.

Thank you very much, William Donnelly and FSC729. I will try the VLC next weekend.

Best wishes,
Christine
PS - I used to be a happy linux user for many many years. Somehow I ended up surrounded by Windows everywhere. :(

What is the purpose of "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted"?

The purpose of "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted" is to provide a platform for individuals to ask practical questions and receive helpful answers from experts or individuals with relevant knowledge or experience.

How can I ask a question on "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted"?

To ask a question on "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted", simply click on the "Ask a Question" button and fill out the form with your question and any relevant details. Once submitted, your question will be visible to other users who can provide answers.

Are the answers on "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted" verified for accuracy?

No, the answers provided on "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted" are not verified for accuracy. It is up to the asker to evaluate the answers and determine their credibility.

Can I answer a question on "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted"?

Yes, anyone can answer a question on "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted" as long as they have relevant knowledge or experience. Simply click on the question and type your answer in the designated field.

How can I improve the chances of getting a helpful answer on "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted"?

To improve the chances of getting a helpful answer on "Practical Questions: Answers Wanted", make sure to provide enough detail in your question and be specific about what type of answer you are looking for. Also, be sure to check back frequently for any new answers or further clarification from other users.