How Can I Create a Low Frequency Radio Transmitter Using a Speaker?

In summary: Is that correct? What are your thoughts on using a computer or microcontroller for this project?Ohhhh. Audio. I get it now. We were thrown off in your original post (OP) where you said this:"What do you plan on using for an antenna?"It sounds like you would like to make a radio transmitter that can create a low frequency signal? Is that correct? What are your thoughts on using a computer or microcontroller for this project?
gabrielshier
Hello,

Lately i have came across an interesting article. Currently i am interested in synthesizing a long wavelength (3Hrtz, 9 Hertz or 12.5 Hertz) at a strong power. The transmitter circuit can be of low voltage which will later on be converted by a multiplayer to a strong signal (which is not a problem). My difficulty is to make that radio transmitter which will create such low frequencies.
Any ideas?

Thanks...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head I see three means beyond the classic RCL circuits you'll find in your standard transistor circuit cookbook.

DSP: Use a PC or microcontroller with D/A converter to produce the signal. (Your trusty laptop can output this via the headphone jack using suitable freeware. Google search: freeware, function generator).

Electro-mechanical 1: At such low frequencies you should be able to build a mass spring system with magnetic pickup and amplified feedback.

Electro-mechanical 2: You could spin a small magnet with a variable speed motor within a magnetic loop at 3, 9, or 12.5 rpm and you'll get a resulting oscillating electrical signal. This should produce a pretty clean sine-wave.

The oscillator is no real problem, you are talking about the low end of audio frequencies and indeed subsonic. So think "Audio frequency" in this setting. For example try a google search of the terms "analog electrical circuits tone generator". The hard part may be getting a good sine waveform at these low frequencies without producing harmonics.

gabrielshier said:
Hello,

Lately i have came across an interesting article. Currently i am interested in synthesizing a long wavelength (3Hrtz, 9 Hertz or 12.5 Hertz) at a strong power.

What do you plan on using for an antenna? You must own a lot of land! Also, keep in mind that pretty much the whole radio spectrum is protected by federal and international law. You can't just make a transmitter and start transmitting at any old wavelength. What are the applicable laws that you are aware of for this wavelength?

Jambaugh, first of all, thanks for the quick response.
The second option sounds the best. A clean good sine wave is exactly what i need. Could you please explain about the practice of it? With the magnetic flux i am quiet familiar.

"What do you plan on using for an antenna?"

Let's see. Length of a full wave antanna = ((186000miles/sec)/3Hz) = 62000 miles. Is that right. That's really long.

dlgoff said:
"What do you plan on using for an antenna?"

Let's see. Length of a full wave antanna = ((186000miles/sec)/3Hz) = 62000 miles. Is that right. That's really long.

And who said I'm going to use an antenna? Aren't there different other kind of wavelength transmitions?

If you want an EM emission, you need to match the transmitter output to something than can radiate.
Check out the size of these antenna. They are/were used for frequencies in the hundereds of kilohertz. Now think about your long waves at 3Hz.

Last edited:
Output

The output is not radio or any antena depending system. The answer to my question i received with the best solution i could hope for. The computer based function generator will be the best solution. The only problem i have now left, which I'm quite sure i can overcome, is how to output the function at 185dB...
Just not sure how accurate the function generator output is throught the computer phone jack.

gabrielshier said:
Hello,

Lately i have came across an interesting article. Currently i am interested in synthesizing a long wavelength (3Hrtz, 9 Hertz or 12.5 Hertz) at a strong power.

Very interesting question! I wonder what article are you reading? Perhaps you can fill us in on more information about your plan. Do you want to transmit this LF signal over a distance? Approximately how far? Do you also want to hear this signal on a radio reciever?

Ouabache said:
Very interesting question! I wonder what article are you reading? Perhaps you can fill us in on more information about your plan. Do you want to transmit this LF signal over a distance? Approximately how far? Do you also want to hear this signal on a radio reciever?

The function will be transmitter via a speaker and not using an antenna. The max distance the function will need to be traveling to is 20 meters. The problem now is finding a speaker that can output such low frequencies.

gabrielshier said:
The function will be transmitter via a speaker and not using an antenna. The max distance the function will need to be traveling to is 20 meters. The problem now is finding a speaker that can output such low frequencies.

Ohhhh. Audio. I get it now. We were thrown off in your original post (OP) where you said this:

gabrielshier said:
My difficulty is to make that radio transmitter which will create such low frequencies.

So now my comments about you needing a lot of land for the antenna and permission from the FCC and Navy are no longer applicable. Just be careful where you point that big-old speaker at 180dBA !

1. What is the definition of wavelength?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave.

2. How do you measure wavelength?

Wavelength can be measured by using a ruler or other measuring device to measure the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does wavelength affect the properties of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave affects its properties such as speed, energy, and diffraction. Longer wavelengths have lower energy and slower speed, while shorter wavelengths have higher energy and faster speed. Wavelength also determines how a wave behaves when it encounters an obstacle or passes through an opening.

5. Can you provide an example of a practical application of understanding wavelength?

Understanding the concept of wavelength is crucial in many fields, including telecommunications, astronomy, and medical imaging. For example, in telecommunications, the understanding of wavelength helps in the design and implementation of efficient communication systems. In astronomy, studying the wavelengths of light emitted by celestial objects can provide valuable information about their composition and movement. In medical imaging, different wavelengths of light are used to create images of internal structures of the body for diagnosis and treatment purposes.