Understanding the Work-Energy Theorem for an Electron in a Circular Orbit

• Thread starter Jaymo3141
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving the force required to keep an electron in its circular orbit. The answer is determined to be B, and the conversation further explores the justification for this answer. It is mentioned that the force causing mv^2/r is Coulomb's law, and the proton's mass is significant in this problem. The energy of the electron and the proton's movement are also considered. Ultimately, the concept of work and potential energy are brought up in relation to the force and displacement of the electron.
Jaymo3141

Homework Statement

(see attached)

Homework Equations

F=mv^2/r, Integral(F<dot>dl)

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is B. Can anyone explain why?

Attachments

• physics question.jpg
    physics question.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Your F= mv^2/R is the force required to keep the elctron in its circular orbit. What generates that required force?

Hint #2: proton mass is >> electron mass so the proton effectively has very little v. But it has a huge m. Can we neglect the v of the proton in this problem, and if so, why?

well, I know that the force causing mv^2/r is kqq/r^2 coulombs law. And the proton is stationary so all the kenetic energy is from the electron. and I'm thinking that the energy of the electron can be calculated using work somehow since it is moving and there is a force on it. but the angle between the force and displacement is always 90, so Fdcos(theta) would always be 0.

Why don't you just equate the two forces & see what happens?

You're not exactly right when you say that the proton remains stationary. It also moves, and it has lots of mass so maybe Mv^2/2 of the proton is significant? You're right, it isn't, I just think you should be able to justify your assumption.

Jaymo3141 said:
well, I'm thinking that the energy of the electron can be calculated using work somehow since it is moving and there is a force on it. but the angle between the force and displacement is always 90, so Fdcos(theta) would always be 0.

Since the k.e. ( 1/2 mv^2) of the electron is not changing, how can there be work done on it continuously? Its potential energy is not changing, and the work done would have to increase one or the other, right? So yes, the angle between the force and the displacement is always 90 deg.

1. What is the purpose of a practice exam problem?

The purpose of a practice exam problem is to allow students to review and test their understanding of a particular topic or subject before taking the actual exam. It helps to identify any areas of weakness and provides an opportunity to improve and gain confidence.

2. How should I approach a practice exam problem?

It is important to approach a practice exam problem with a clear and focused mindset. Start by reading the problem carefully and identifying the key concepts involved. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Use any relevant formulas or equations and show all of your work to ensure you are on the right track.

3. How many practice exams should I take?

The number of practice exams to take varies depending on the student and the difficulty of the subject. It is recommended to take at least one practice exam per week leading up to the actual exam. However, if you are struggling with a particular topic, it may be beneficial to take more practice exams to reinforce your understanding.

4. What if I can't solve a practice exam problem?

If you are having trouble solving a practice exam problem, don't panic. Take a step back and review the problem again. Make sure you understand all of the information given and the question being asked. If you are still stuck, try looking for similar examples or asking a classmate or teacher for help. Remember, the purpose of a practice exam is to learn and improve, not to get everything right.

5. How do practice exam problems differ from the actual exam?

Practice exam problems are designed to simulate the format and difficulty level of the actual exam, but they may not cover all of the same material or be exactly the same as the real exam. They are meant to be a tool for practice and review, not a perfect representation of the actual exam. It is important to use a variety of study methods, including practice exams, to prepare for the real thing.