Where Can I Find Free Practice Problems for Abstract Algebra with Solutions?

In summary, the conversation involved someone struggling with self-teaching abstract algebra and needing practice problems with solutions. Suggestions were given for free resources including a Linear and Abstract Algebra textbook and a website with accessible graduate-level material and solutions. The forum mentioned was not actively used, but the textbook and website were recommended for their helpful practice problems.
StephenPrivitera
Hey! I'm really struggling trying to teach myself abstract algebra mostly because I have a terrible shortage of practice problems. I really need some practice questions with solutions. Can anyone provide me a link to some (as many as possible!)? I've looked all over and can't find anything that doesn't cost money. My text has some problems,which helps a lot, but there are no solutions, so I have no idea if I'm getting my problems right or wrong.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Go to URL=http://]http://www.math.miami.edu/~ec/book/ , I got it from Physics Napster in the Physics section. This provides free Linear and Abstract Algebra textbook. It also has a discussion forum.[

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have that textbook. I tried using it for a while but it's so concise that I can't understand anything. It's would serve better as an outline than a text. And besides, there are very few practice problems in that book. But thanks for trying anyway!
The forum would be very nice, but it appears it is not used much. The last post was July 25. I will stick with the physics forums. I just hate to bombard everyone with a million questions.

Have a look at http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~r-ash/. Don't be put off by 'graduate', I found it quite accessible, and solutions are provided. I got the link off someone else in the forum, can't remember who. Chapters 1-5 may be of the most interest to you.

I agree with Lonewolf. I've had a freshman Algebra course, and many of the things stated there I found in Ash's book. It has great problems that will help you ponder over the material, and it includes solutions.

1. What are practice problems for algebra?

Practice problems for algebra are exercises or questions that are designed to help students improve their understanding and skills in algebra. These problems cover various topics in algebra such as equations, functions, and graphing.

2. Why are practice problems important in learning algebra?

Practice problems are important in learning algebra because they allow students to apply the concepts and techniques they have learned in a hands-on manner. By solving problems, students can identify their areas of weakness and work on improving them.

3. How can I find good practice problems for algebra?

There are various sources where you can find good practice problems for algebra. These include textbooks, online resources, and practice workbooks. You can also ask your teacher for recommended practice problems or create your own based on the topics you need to work on.

4. How should I approach solving practice problems for algebra?

When solving practice problems for algebra, it is important to read the problem carefully and identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, use the appropriate algebraic techniques and formulas to solve the problem step by step. Finally, check your answer to ensure it is correct.

5. How often should I do practice problems for algebra?

The frequency of doing practice problems for algebra depends on your learning goals and needs. Some students may benefit from daily practice, while others may prefer to do practice problems a few times a week. It is important to find a practice schedule that works best for you and stick to it consistently.