1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Practice using K-Maps

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Draw the K-Map for ##F = a \bar b + b \bar c d + cd + \bar a c d + a \bar b \bar c d## and minimize the expression.

2. Find a simplified expression for the K-map:

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 2.20.14 PM.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My work for each question is shown in the image below. I hope that I have done everything properly:

IMG_0527.jpg

If someone could verify my work it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

Why do you have don't cares? either you are not using them correctly, or there is information you are not giving us.
    Also I am fairly certain your kmap is not correct.

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The don't cares are given as stated, and the questions are given exactly as I've mentioned in the first post.

What leads you to believe my K-Map for the first problem is incorrect?

5. Feb 16, 2015 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

ohhh my god, I thought the Kmap show above was the Kmap from the first problem. disregard what I said before...

For problem #1 I would check your work again

6. Feb 16, 2015 #5

donpacino

Gold Member

for number 2, you can get it simpler. Why are you doing so much algebra. The beauty of the K map allows you to create the logic functions simply.
    I only did one algebra step.

7. Feb 16, 2015 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

No problem, perhaps it was a little confusing.

I assume the K-Map for the first problem is wrong because it should look like this:

e e 1 e
    e 1 1 e
    e 1 1 e
    1 1 1 e

Where I used e to denote an empty spot on the map.

For the second question, I can't see how to get it any simpler. I thought the loops I used were as large as possible.

8. Feb 16, 2015 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

your correction to #1 is still not correct. look at your AB' term.

for the second question I have two comments. You don't need all that algebra. It defeats the purpose of using a kmap. it should be 1, maybe two steps.
    That being said, you have a redundant term in your final answer

9. Feb 16, 2015 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Oh whoops, I missed a one on the bottom right corner there, it should be:

e e 1 e
    e 1 1 e
    e 1 1 e
    1 1 1 1

Then taking the biggest loops I get ##F = a \bar b + bd + \bar a c d## for the first problem.

Upon looking at the second problem with a different vision now, I believe It should be:

$$F = c \bar d + a \bar b + a + \bar a \bar b \bar c \bar d = a + c \bar d + \bar a \bar b \bar c \bar d$$.

10. Feb 16, 2015 #9

donpacino

Gold Member

#1.) Nice job!!

#2.)that is not correct, i know that because the expression a does not work in this case.
    look at your final answer for #2 in your original work. It is very close to being correct. You can get to that point simply by looking at the loops.

11. Feb 16, 2015 #10

Zondrina

Homework Helper

That's weird, thought I had it that time. I see the problem now though, I have an extra loop along the bottom row that's been confusing me.

So removing that extra loop, I have three loops. The one along the right column, the one along the bottom half of the left column, and the one surrounding the four corners. Reading the loops off I get:

$$F = c \bar d + a \bar c \bar d + \bar b \bar d = \bar d [ c + a \bar c + \bar b] = \bar d [ a + \bar b + c ]$$

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  12. Feb 17, 2015 #11

donpacino

Gold Member

thats what I got.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted