Practicing Structural Drawings

• Thread starter HeartSoul132
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structural
In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of stereochemistry and how it is represented in chemical drawings. The main point was that stereochemistry refers to the arrangement of atoms in a molecule and how this can create two different compounds. It was also discussed that a stereocenter is the point in the compound that creates these two different molecules. The conversation also touched on identifying stereocenters and understanding their importance in organic chemistry.
HeartSoul132
Did I draw this correctly?
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7946/correctj.jpg

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yep. Can you explain why you don't need to show the stereochemistry about the central carbon atom?

Thanks, and no I cannot, since I'm not sure what that means. Care to to help me out?

I probably shouldn't spoon feed you but Stereochemistry is just a complicated way of saying, all 4 sides are not equal. The middle carbon is connected to -OH and -OH, those two are identical. Therefore, they will be on the same plane and not possible to draw in 3D or Stereochemistry.

All four sides equal then no Stereochemistry.
All four sides different then draw Stereochemistry.

Can you give me an example of a drawing where you need to show Stereochemistry and how you do it please?

Thanks.

Here you go. Look at the carbon directly connected to the -OH group. It has four completely different things connected to it.

R-butan-2-ol-2D-skeletal.png

Isn't it just connected to two other carbons and an -OH?
EDIT: Oh, and a hydrogen, haha.

So where does the Stereochemistry come into play then?

Sonic7145 said:
Isn't it just connected to two other carbons and an -OH?
EDIT: Oh, and a hydrogen, haha.

So where does the Stereochemistry come into play then?

Stereochemistry are those dash lines, it just means that the -OH group is not on the same plane. If you were to lay that compound on a surface, the -OH group would be sticking out at you while all the carbons would be laying flat on the table.

So what exactly was the correct answer to the #2 post in this thread then?

Also, what is the "stereocenter"?

Thanks.

I answered the number 2 question in my first post. Try reading it carefully.

A stereocenter is a point in the compound that creates two completely different molecules. Here is the other molecule of that compound I just posted. In this case the -OH group is pointed up, the last case the -OH group was pointing down. They are two completely different compounds and they are named differently.

S-butan-2-ol-2D-skeletal.png

So in this case, the Stereocenter would be the Carbon the -OH is attached to, since that's the point that differs between the two?

Are the 4-sides you are referring to the Carbon and -OH and two H's?

What if you're only given 1 diagram and asked to indentify the sterocenter?

Thanks.

Sonic7145 said:
So in this case, the Stereocenter would be the Carbon the -OH is attached to, since that's the point that differs between the two?

Are the 4-sides you are referring to the Carbon and -OH and two H's?

What if you're only given 1 diagram and asked to indentify the sterocenter?

Thanks.

First question. Yup.Second question. Nope. You have to look at the whole group. In that last picture there are 4 completely different groups attached to the carbon. -OH, -CH3, -CH2CH3, and a -H. Third question, you wouldn't be asked asked that on an exam. It would go deeper then that. Granted that you are taking Organic Chem for majors.

1. What is the purpose of practicing structural drawings?

The purpose of practicing structural drawings is to develop the skills and techniques necessary to accurately represent the structural components of a building or other structure. This includes understanding how to create detailed and precise drawings that can be used for construction or renovation projects.

2. What skills are required for practicing structural drawings?

To practice structural drawings, one must have a strong understanding of engineering principles, as well as knowledge of building materials and construction techniques. It is also important to have strong drafting skills, attention to detail, and the ability to visualize and interpret 2D and 3D drawings.

3. What tools are used for practicing structural drawings?

Common tools used for practicing structural drawings include drafting pencils, rulers, protractors, compasses, and specialized drafting software such as AutoCAD. Other tools may be used depending on the specific project, such as scale rulers, tracing paper, or digital tablets.

4. How can I improve my skills in practicing structural drawings?

To improve skills in practicing structural drawings, it is important to regularly practice and seek feedback from experienced professionals. Additionally, keeping up with advancements in technology and software can also enhance skills. Taking courses or workshops specific to structural drawing can also be beneficial.

5. What are some common challenges faced when practicing structural drawings?

Some common challenges faced when practicing structural drawings include accurately representing complex or unique structural components, ensuring structural integrity and safety in the design, and communicating effectively with other professionals involved in the project. Technical limitations or errors in the drafting software can also present challenges.