1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pragmatic Careers in Physics

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1
    What are some actual jobs in physics and colleges that are geared towards them? I'm applying to colleges right now and I'm quite curious. Is being a physics major difficult?

I've fallen in love with the idea of string theory and I've read books on it, but I'm not much of a mathematical person and I've never taken calculus, so I'm afraid I can't go very far with anything related to that. Oh well. I'd love to hear about other people's physics college/job/career experiences though!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without calculus and a fair amount of math beyond, it is almost impossible to pursue a career in physics.

4. Dec 3, 2013 #3
    In my university, optics is in the Physics Department, which is quite promising

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

taxarose, Welcome to Physics Forums!

May I suggest you relax? Do not be in any hurry to try to map out your future at this time in your life. Continue to apply for college. Once you get accepted and enrolled you may select some "General Science" course that will introduce you to all the sciences. If it turns out you later decide on Physics (and String Theory!) you will, as mathman said, will need tons of math courses. But Wait! You just may decide you are interested in a different area of science. You do have the freedom of choice, remember? So, explore the WHOLE FIELD and find what you like most. You have many years to get yourself prepared: no hurry!

Let us know how you are doing once enrolled. If you have any specific questions do come back here and post them. Physics Forums has many highly qualified scientists and engineers ready and willing to assist a true "searcher" along her journey.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook