Praseodymium Glass as a Pigment?

• Thread starter cuallito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of praseodymium glass as a yellow-green pigment, which has historically been rare and lightfast. The history section mentions that praseodymium glass is even rarer and more expensive. The conversation then explores the possibility of using praseodymium glass as a pigment, and suggests using a white opacifier and grinding the cullet to pigment-sized dimensions.
cuallito
Could a powder of praseodymium glass be used as a yellow-green pigment, which have historically been rare and very lightfast?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I wonder what they are using to make that color of glass then? Silicates and aluminates usually make very good pigments; so I wonder why if they can make yellow-green glass so easily why can't they make a yellow-green silicate or aluminate?

cuallito said:
I wonder what they are using to make that color of glass then? Silicates and aluminates usually make very good pigments; so I wonder why if they can make yellow-green glass so easily why can't they make a yellow-green silicate or aluminate?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0347945.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, interesting! I wonder if this can be made into a pigment?

I imagine it would but one would blend in a white opacifier and then grind the cullet to pigment-sized dimensions.

1. What is praseodymium glass pigment?

Praseodymium glass is a type of glass that has been colored with the rare earth element praseodymium. When used as a pigment, it produces a unique yellow-green color.

2. How is praseodymium glass pigment used?

Praseodymium glass pigment is primarily used in the production of artists' paints, ceramics, and plastics. It can also be used in glassmaking to create decorative objects.

3. What are the benefits of using praseodymium glass pigment?

Praseodymium glass pigment has a high refractive index, which means it reflects and refracts light in a unique way, producing a bright and vibrant color. It is also chemically stable and resistant to fading, making it a durable option for artists and manufacturers.

4. Is praseodymium glass pigment safe to use?

Yes, praseodymium glass pigment is considered safe to use in art and industrial applications. However, as with any pigment or chemical, it is important to handle it with care and follow safety guidelines.

5. How does praseodymium glass pigment compare to other pigments?

Praseodymium glass pigment is unique in its color and properties, making it a valuable addition to the range of pigments available to artists and manufacturers. It is also more stable and durable than some other pigments, making it a popular choice for long-lasting applications.