Finding the Average: Solving Basic Pre-Algebra Problems

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation was about finding the average of a set of numbers. The answer was determined by adding all the numbers and dividing by the total number of numbers. The final answer was (c) 4\frac{6}{7}. The person asking for help appreciated being pointed in the right direction, rather than just given the answer.
vincentm
I know this is basic stuff, but I'm barely geting back into school and starting off with a basic math class, so any help would be highly appreciated, i don't want the answers just to be pointed in the right direction. :smile:

'what is the average (arithmetic mean) of 8,7,7,5,3,2 and 2'

(a) [tex]3\frac{4}{7}[/tex]

(b) [tex]4\frac{5}{6}[/tex]

(c) [tex]4\frac{6}{7}[/tex]

(d) 5

(e) [tex]6\frac{4}{5}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Just add them all up, and divide by the total number of numbers you have.

so the answer is (c) [tex]4\frac{6}{7}[/tex]which i got by adding the numbers up which is 34 and dividied by that total which is 7, so 34 divided by 7 is 4 remainder 6 which gives me [tex]4\frac{6}{7}[/tex]right?

Last edited:
Looks right to me.

JasonRox said:
Looks right to me.

Thanks for your help.

What is pre-algebra?

Pre-algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with basic concepts such as numbers, operations, equations, and functions. It serves as a foundation for more advanced math courses.

What topics are typically covered in pre-algebra?

Some common topics in pre-algebra include arithmetic, fractions, decimals, percentages, exponents, basic geometry, and basic algebraic concepts such as equations and inequalities.

Why is pre-algebra important?

Pre-algebra is important because it builds a strong foundation for higher-level math courses. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are useful in many areas of life.

What are some tips for mastering pre-algebra?

Some tips for mastering pre-algebra include practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, breaking down problems into smaller, manageable steps, and using visual aids or manipulatives to understand concepts.

How can I get help with pre-algebra?

If you are struggling with pre-algebra, there are many resources available to help you. You can ask your teacher for extra help, join a study group, or seek online resources such as practice problems, tutorials, and videos.