1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pre calc proof

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    ok i have been working on this problem for a little bit and am stumped. i need to prove.
    (sec^2-6*tan+7)/sec^2-5 = (tan-4)/tan+2

this is what i have done skipping a few steps
    ((1/u^2)-6*(v/u)+7)/(1-5u^2)/u^2

then (u-6u^3*vu^2*1-5u^3)/u^3 got this by finding a common denominator and flipping the bottom fraction. i missed quite a bit of class just trying to catch up but have no idea what i am doing

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

Well firstly why are you making substitutions like that, there is absolutely no reason too and makes it incredibly unobvious when you use a trig identity if you do that. Second your notation is mostly gibberish to me, I have no clue what "tan-4) or "tan+2" are supposed to be.

4. Jan 31, 2006 #3
    that was the way i was taught.
    sec= secant=1/u
    tan= tangent=u/v

so tan-4 would be (u/v)- 2

5. Jan 31, 2006 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

As d_leet already said, tan + 4, tan - 2 really make no sense.
    You should write tan(x) + 4, or tan(x) - 2 instead.
    back to the problem, I hope you mean:
    Prove:
    [tex]\frac{\sec ^ 2 (x) - 6 \tan (x) + 7}{\sec ^ 2 (x) - 5} = \frac{\tan (x) - 4}{\tan (x) + 2}[/tex]
    Is that what you mean?
    I'll give you a hint, try to change all secant function to tangent function. Do you know:
    [tex]1 + \tan ^ 2 (x) = \sec ^ 2 (x)[/tex]?
    Then factor it, and shortly arrive at what you want to prove. :smile:

6. Jan 31, 2006 #5
    yes that is what i mean i will try that

7. Jan 31, 2006 #6
    That substitution is one of two things, either completely wrong, or very unusual, put everything in terms of sine and cosine, that might help better, and I still have no clue what "tan-4" means.

Because if secant is 1/u, thangent cannot be u/v it would be v/u assuming that v = sine and u = cosine.

8. Jan 31, 2006 #7

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Nooooo, you again forget the angle, the tangent, secant values of what angle? (x, y, t, k, [itex]\alpha, \ \beta, \ \gamma, \ \theta[/itex] or what?)
    ------------
    EDIT: Have you solved the problem? :smile:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  9. Jan 31, 2006 #8
    i relised that after i posted it is v/u also that is what i used in the first problem. and no i have not solved it yet i think not taking algebra 1 or 2 is hurting me now

10. Jan 31, 2006 #9
    ok i dont know if you can do this if so why did my answer come out flipped
    1+ tan^2(x) -6 tan(x) +7/ 1+ tan^2(x) -5 to
    tan^2(x) -5 tan(x) +7/ tan^2(x) -4 to
    tan(x) -5 tan(x) +7/ tan(x) -4 to
    tan(x) +2/ tan (x) -4

11. Jan 31, 2006 #10
    1+ tan^2(x) -6 tan(x) +7/ 1+ tan^2(x) -5 this is what i get after changing them to tangents
    i remember doing quadratic equation once but dont remember what they were and i thought i could factor but cant see it in this problem. got any links handy that can help with this problem

edit there was a post above mine
    i think that by factoring you want me to see that 1 + tan^2(x) can be factored like a^2+b^2 but i cant remember if there are others that apply to this problem

12. Jan 31, 2006 #11
    Combine like terms and you should find that those expressions factor very nicely.

13. Jan 31, 2006 #12

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Arrghh, you should take Algebra before taking pre-calculus!!! i.e, you should have some solid, and basic knowledge of algebra, or you'll not learn much in pre-calculus. You can either find some Algebra book and study it by yourself, or you can ask a tutor... (a tutor maybe better).
    ---------------------
    You know what addition and multiplication are, right?
    Commutative property of addition: a + b = b + a, ie two numbers add to the same thing whichever order you add them in.
    Example:
    2 + 3 = 5
    3 + 2 = 5
    Commutative property of multiplication: ab = ba
    3 . 5 = 15
    5 . 3 = 15
    Associative property of addition: (a + b) + c = a + (b + c), ie, if you take a + b first, then add c, it's the same as you add b + c together first, and then add a.
    Example:
    (1 + 9) + 7 = 10 + 7 = 17
    1 + (9 + 7) = 1 + 16 = 17.
    Associative property of multiplication: (ab)c = a(bc).
    Example:
    (2 . 3) . 5 = 6 . 5 = 30
    2 . (3 . 5) = 2 . 15 = 30
    Distributive property of multiplication with respect to addition: a(b + c) = ab + ac
    Example:
    2 . (3 + 4) = 2 . 7 = 14
    2 . 3 + 2 . 4 = 6 + 8 = 14
    Additive inverse, or opposite, of a number n is the number which, when added to n, yields zero. We denote it to be: -n.
    That means n + (-n) = 0
    Example:
    The additive inverse of 7 is −7, because 7 + (−7) = 0
    The additive inverse of a is −a (definition).
    The additive inverse of (ab) = -(ab).
    Subtraction is the reverse of addition, to subtract b from a, we do as follow:
    a - b = a + (-b), ie, we add a and the opposite number of b.
    -----------------------
    Say, you want to simplify the expression:
    3x - 7y + 12x - 4y - 9y = 3x + (-7y) + 12x + (-4y) + (-9y)
    = 3x + 12x + (-4y) + (-9y) + (-7y) (Associative property of addition)
    = (3 + 12)x + ((-4) + (-9) + (-7))y = 15x + (-20)y = 15x - 20y.
    Do the same, can you go from
    [tex]\frac{\tan ^ 2 (x) + 1 - 6 \tan (x) + 7}{\sec ^ 2 (x) - 5}[/tex] to [tex]\frac{\tan ^ 2 (x) - 6 \tan (x) + 8}{\tan ^ 2 (x) - 4}[/tex]?
    -----------------------
    QUADRATIC EQUATION:
    Look here for quadratic equations.
    -----------------------
    FACTORIZATION:
    See here for some basic stuff about factorization.
    -----------------------
    Remember that, once we've factor both numerator and denominator, we can cancel out something that both numerator, and denominator have.
    Example:
    [tex]\frac{(x - 2) (3x + 5) (x + 7)}{(6x - 5) (x - 2) (x + 7)}[/tex]
    (x - 2) and (x + 7) are in both numerator, and denominator, cancelling them out, we have:
    [tex]\frac{(x - 2) (3x + 5) (x + 7)}{(6x - 5) (x - 2) (x + 7)} = \frac{3x + 5}{6x - 5}[/tex]
    Can you do the problem now?
    My last advice is: Go buying some book, and study Algebra, or hire some good tutor.
    GET ALGEBRA BOOK! :smile:

14. Feb 10, 2006 #13
    ok i understand this what i dont is how tan(x)+2/tan(x)-4 = tan(x)-4/tan(x)+2

15. Feb 11, 2006 #14

VietDao29

Homework Helper

No, they are not equal:
    [tex]\frac{\tan x + 2}{\tan x - 4} \neq \frac{\tan x - 4}{\tan x + 2}[/tex]
    Since, it's quite a long time, and you may not have worked out the problem, I think I can post the solution.
    Prove that:
    [tex]\frac{\sec ^ 2 (x) - 6 \tan (x) + 7}{\sec ^ 2 (x) - 5} = \frac{\tan (x) - 4}{\tan (x) + 2}[/tex]
    ---------
    Proof:
    We will now prove that the LHS of the equation is equal to the RHS. So we will start from the LHS:
    [tex]\frac{\sec ^ 2 (x) - 6 \tan (x) + 7}{\sec ^ 2 (x) - 5} = \frac{\tan ^ 2 x + 1 - 6 \tan x + 7}{\tan ^ 2 x + 1 - 5} = \frac{\tan ^ 2 x - 6 \tan x + 8}{\tan ^ 2 x - 4}[/tex]
    We then factor both numerator and denominator:
    [tex]\frac{(\tan x - 2) (\tan x - 4)}{(\tan x - 2) (\tan x + 2)} = \frac{\tan x - 4}{\tan x + 2}[/tex] (Q.E.D)
    ---------
    Can you understand this proof? And have you got an Algebra book yet? :)

16. Feb 15, 2006 #15
    Oh man :cry:

We all have trouble sometimes :)

I have been working on a long homework assignment for the past 6 hours, I wish I had never taken thermodynamics
    :cry: :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?