Master Pre-Calculus: Tackle Challenging Problems 7 and 24 from Math.unb.ca

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pre-calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the person's readiness to proceed to calculus and their confusion about two problems from a given set of questions. The problems are described as involving simplifying and finding solutions to equations, as well as using algebraic manipulation skills. The conversation also mentions the use of the distance formula to solve a problem involving points on a curve. Overall, the conversation serves as a helpful guide for someone just starting to learn calculus.
Stratosphere
I am just starting to get into calculus, I have just self taught my self pre-calculus from another textbook, however when searching online to see if I am ready to proceed into calculus I found that 2 questions have me stumped. Is this a problem? The problems I am talking about are located here: http://www.math.unb.ca/ready/paper.pdf the ones I am confused about are numbers 7. and 24.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will find that these types of questions will pop up a few times in calculus.

Number 7 is just a simplifying type problem. For example, solve for a:

[tex]x+a = 5[/tex]

would be:

[tex]a = 5 - x[/tex].

Of course, the equations they give you are a little bit harder to solve.

For number 14 you want to find all numbers that satisfy those equations. For example, solve:

[tex]x^2 - 4 = 0[/tex]

That is, find all x such that the above equation holds. Well you would find:

[tex]x^2 = 4 \implies x = \pm 2[/tex].

Again, the sample problems are harder than this, and draw on techniques that you should have learned.

As a hint for #14. All the equations given are equations of parabolas. The question translates into finding the x-intercepts.

Coto you misread the OP. He asked for #7 and #24 :tongue:

Stratosphere: For #7 it is basically getting you to touch up on your algebraic manipulation skills. You're given an equation and must solve for one variable.

If you don't remember how to do this very well, these are some examples of the rules you'll need to use:

[tex]\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}=x \rightarrow \frac{ad+bc}{bd}=x \rightarrow ad+bc=bdx[/tex]

[tex]ab+ac=x \rightarrow a(b+c)=x \rightarrow a=\frac{x}{b+c}[/tex]

[tex]ax^2+bx+c=0 \rightarrow x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

and of course there will be simple adding/subtracting and multiplying/dividing which you'll need to use as well. This should have you set.

Coto you misread the OP. He asked for #7 and #24 :tongue:

Stratosphere: For #7 it is basically getting you to touch up on your algebraic manipulation skills. You're given an equation and must solve for one variable.

If you don't remember how to do this very well, these are some examples of the rules you'll need to use:

[tex]\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}=x \rightarrow \frac{ad+bc}{bd}=x \rightarrow ad+bc=bdx \rightarrow a=\frac{bdx-bc}{d}[/tex]

[tex]ab+ac=x \rightarrow a(b+c)=x \rightarrow a=\frac{x}{b+c}[/tex]

[tex]ax^2+bx+c=0 \rightarrow x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

and of course there will be simple adding/subtracting and multiplying/dividing which you'll need to use as well. This should have you set.

As for #24, do you know the distance formula? You are told the distance from P(x,y) and A(-1,1) and 3 times the distance from P(x,y) and B(2,-1). Can you form an equation using the distance formula to show this? You will have an equation in 2 variables which, if you simplify by squaring and re-arranging etc. will give you the equation of the curve.

Thanks a lot for the help there, I feel kinda dumb about not realizing number 7.:redface:

1. How can I tackle challenging problems in pre-calculus?

To tackle challenging problems in pre-calculus, it is important to have a solid understanding of the basic concepts and principles. This includes having a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. It is also helpful to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. In addition, breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable parts and using different problem-solving strategies can also be effective.

2. What are the benefits of mastering pre-calculus?

Mastering pre-calculus can provide a strong foundation for advanced math courses such as calculus, physics, and engineering. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in various fields. In addition, pre-calculus is often a prerequisite for many college and university programs, making it an important subject to master for academic success.

3. What resources are available for mastering pre-calculus?

There are numerous resources available for mastering pre-calculus, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Many schools and universities also offer tutoring services and workshops for students struggling with pre-calculus. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and to use them consistently to improve your understanding and skills.

4. How can I use the problems from Math.unb.ca to improve my pre-calculus skills?

The problems from Math.unb.ca are designed to challenge students and test their understanding of pre-calculus concepts. By attempting and solving these problems, students can identify their areas of weakness and work on improving them. The website also provides step-by-step solutions to each problem, making it a valuable resource for self-study and practice.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying pre-calculus?

Staying motivated while studying pre-calculus can be challenging, but setting achievable goals and rewarding yourself for reaching them can be helpful. It is also important to find a study method that works for you, whether it's studying with a group, using flashcards, or creating practice tests. Additionally, reminding yourself of the benefits of mastering pre-calculus and seeking help when needed can also keep you motivated and on track.