Is Pre-Calculus Necessary for Success in Calculus?

In summary, Precalculus: Trigonometry is a one semester course that is equivalent to the combination of Precalculus I and Precalculus II. Prerequisite for taking this course is having taken Precalculus I and Precalculus II. Students who have taken these courses can still take precalculus: trigonometry after passing its prerequisite.
hitmail
Hi, Everyone!

How are you've been doing? A little bit about me? I just started college in 2010. Well, I needed some advice about precalculus I & II and precalculus: trigonometry courses. I'm thinking to skip precalculus I & precalculus II classes. Based on my major sheet/diagram, I can take a precalculus: trigonometry without taking precalculus I & II classes after I passed its prerequisite. Here is some of the info: Precalculus: Trigonometry- A one semester course that is equivalent to the combination of Precalculus I and Precalculus II. Topics include an in-depth investigation of algebraic and trigonometric functions and their graphs, solutions of systems of equations, analytic trigonometry, solutions of triangles, vectors, and analytic geometry. Prerequisite...

Is it important to take a precalculus 1 & 2 to be able to have a leverage in a precalculus: trig, or calculus?

Thanks in advance.

Jen

Physics news on Phys.org
Go right to calculus. Learning about differentiation and integration only requires some basic algebra and graphing skills, and knowing calculus will make trig a lot more interesting later.

Taking PreCalculus 1 & 2 is not important in practice for being qualified for Calculus 1...
Knowing Intermediate Algebra, and having at least had a one semester course of Trigonometry are important for Caclulus 1 (and 2). Some students are still weak in their Algebra or Trigonometry knowledge and so a Pre-Calculus course can still be important for them. You need to know yourself.

I had a 6-year hiatus from learning pre-calc to calc I...so basically like others said you just need basic algebra down and trig as a foundation for calc I. I am almost done with calc II...stoked.

You definitely want to really know your algebra and trigonometry well. You will have enough on your plate mastering the basic concepts of calculus and getting hung up on "what is cosine of pi/3?" is something that make calculus a pain.

Thank you for the input, posters. I'm going to take an Intermediate Algebra this summer. Then, I'm hoping to take precalculus: trig in fall 2011.

Duderonimous said:
You definitely want to really know your algebra and trigonometry well. You will have enough on your plate mastering the basic concepts of calculus and getting hung up on "what is cosine of pi/3?" is something that make calculus a pain.

Thanks. I'm glad to know it.

1. What is the main difference between pre-calculus and calculus?

Pre-calculus is a preparatory course that covers algebra, trigonometry, and other mathematical concepts, while calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation.

2. Do I need to take pre-calculus before calculus?

Yes, it is highly recommended to take pre-calculus before calculus as it provides the necessary foundation and skills needed for success in calculus.

3. What are the key topics covered in pre-calculus?

Some of the key topics covered in pre-calculus include functions, graphing, trigonometry, polynomial and rational functions, and exponential and logarithmic functions.

4. Is calculus harder than pre-calculus?

This can vary from person to person, but in general, calculus is considered to be more challenging than pre-calculus due to its focus on advanced concepts and problem-solving techniques.

5. What are the real-world applications of calculus?

Calculus has many real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze continuous change and can be applied to various fields to solve complex problems.