Precalculus Refresher: Find the Perfect Book Here!

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for pre-calculus books. The speakers mention the Blitzer book and the Swokowski and Cole book as options, with the latter being recommended. The conversation also touches on the difference between a pure, proof-based approach and an applied approach. A suggestion is given for Shilov's Elementary Real and Complex Analysis for a pure approach and high-school pre-calculus texts for an applied approach.
LSDwhat?
I need to relearn and refresh my memory with everything that's is pre calculus so is there any good book that you guys can recommend me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Blitzer book is okay.

I used Swokowski and Cole's book and it wasn't that bad.

Are you looking for a pure, proof-based approach or an applied approach?

If you're looking for a pure pre-calculus book, I would have to recommend Shilov's Elementary Real and Complex Analysis, from which the first 6 chapters essentially cover (albeit more rigorously and abstractly than most courses) Pre-Calculus, the next 4 chapters covering calculus/introductory analysis and then a chapter on complex analysis.

If you want a more applied choice, most every high-school pre-calculus text should be sufficient.

1. What is precalculus?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that builds upon algebra and geometry to prepare students for calculus. It includes topics such as functions, graphs, trigonometry, and logarithms.

2. Why is a precalculus refresher important?

A precalculus refresher is important because it helps students review and solidify their understanding of key concepts before moving on to more advanced mathematical concepts. It also helps to bridge any gaps in knowledge that may have developed since taking a precalculus course.

3. How can I find the perfect precalculus refresher book?

There are several ways to find the perfect precalculus refresher book. One option is to ask for recommendations from teachers, tutors, or other students who have taken precalculus. You can also read reviews and compare different books to find one that best fits your learning style and needs.

4. What should I look for in a precalculus refresher book?

When looking for a precalculus refresher book, it is important to consider the level of detail and explanations provided, the variety and quality of practice problems, and the organization and structure of the book. You should also make sure that the book covers the specific topics you need to review.

5. Can a precalculus refresher book replace a precalculus course?

No, a precalculus refresher book cannot replace a precalculus course. While it can help you review and reinforce concepts, it does not provide the same level of instruction, guidance, and feedback that a course with a teacher or tutor would. It is best used as a supplement to a precalculus course or as a review tool for those who have already taken the course.